Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a law against using bluegills and other game fish such as crappie as bait for catfish. I have heard yes ,no , and only if caught on rod and reel which would be hard to prove so I don't think that sounds right. I looked through the rules but could not come up with anything. Also wondering if legal has anyone used them. Shad are hard to come buy so I am thinking of alternatives.
Thanks,
Louie

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can use any length bluegill(bream) that you catch with a pole and if caught with a cast net they must me less than 4 in. Don't think you are allowed to use crappie.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
No guess work.

The "Book" says...the following is legal for bait.

"Bream under four inches long. Bream longer than four inches may be used for bait only if first taken by hook and line and are subject to daily limit restrictions."

Meaning that you can use any number bream under four inches long, taken by any legal manner.

You can (also)use up to a single daily limit (50 per person) if caught by a hook....that can weigh two pounds or whatever and be a foot long...:wink:

Don't know why the exactly four inch ones are not legal????? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
No guess work.

The "Book" says...the following is legal for bait.

"Bream under four inches long. Bream longer than four inches may be used for bait only if first taken by hook and line and are subject to daily limit restrictions."

Meaning that you can use any number bream under four inches long, taken by any legal manner.

You can (also)use up to a single daily limit (50 per person) if caught by a hook....that can weigh two pounds or whatever and be a foot long...:wink:

Don't know why the exactly four inch ones are not legal????? :rolleyes:
There has to be loopholes in every law don't you know?:fit:

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
We used to catch creek perch out of the pond all week long and then my dad and a few more guys would go set out lines on the weekends.
Seems like we used to have a fish fry every time you turned around back then.
Those were the good old days. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
We used to catch creek perch out of the pond all week long and then my dad and a few more guys would go set out lines on the weekends.
Seems like we used to have a fish fry every time you turned around back then.
Those were the good old days. :thumb:
yep, we used to catch some small bream with the fishing pole and then bait the trotlines up with them to catch some of the flatheads out of the saline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.