Blue Wing Teal

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by jblieb, Jan 7, 2008.

1. jblieb

jblieb Well-Known Member

My buddies and I killed three blue wing teal on Saturday. One in poinsett county in the morning and then another two that afternoon in craighead county. First ones i have ever seen killed outside of teal season in my 15 years of hunting. Anyone killing any of these birds anywhere else in the state?

2. woodruff

woodruff Well-Known Member

My brother in law killed one this weekend. I've never seen on this late, but it was 65 degrees. His did not have the white, crecent moon on it's head. If I'm not mistaken, this goes away, or molts as the season progresses. Kinda weird....

3. jde512

jde512 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine killed one over by Wheatley two weeks ago. Very strange.... must be global warming.:smack:

4. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

I have killed teal (both blue-wing and green-wing) at all points of the season in years past. Then again, this is the second season that I have not duck hunted.

5. jblieb

jblieb Well-Known Member

The morning teal was a hen and did not have the white crescent patch. In the afternoon it was a drake and hen and the drake had the bluish/grey head and the crescent. We kill green wing frequently but I have never seen a blue wing killed during actual duck season. Teal season sure but never in January.

6. rusty

rusty Well-Known Member

Killed one 2 weeks ago on an old cypress slough

7. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago in Wabbaseka.

8. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Kill them all the time through out the season

9. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

I haven't killed any at all this year, but about three seasons ago I shot the biggest one I have ever seen or heard of in the last week of the season and we broke ice for about an hour and a half that morning.

It was crazy. The dude I was hunting with and I both thought it was a gadwall when I popped it. When I picked it up, I couldn't believe it. It was really the size of a gadwall, but had the markings of a BWT!!

Must be some of that B/A-genetic rice he had been eating!!!

10. Killed one down by the warrior bottoms in Lee county last weekend. First one I have seen down there in years.