blue tree markings

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by tmeredith, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM.

1. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

Went out yesterday and found where somebody had marked some timber on my place and the joining property. I found a couple trees marked with a blue dot and a couple marked with a single blue m. I found a couple marked with double m's one on top of another. Anybody know what these mean?
    huntandfish likes this.
  2. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Blue usually means the saws and skidders are on the way. Better make sure your property lines are clearly marked.
    Whiskey River, Onetrakd and tmeredith like this.

3. tmeredith

Thats what I thought. They had trees well onto my property marked.
  4. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

I think the M marking mean meridith I wouldn’t be too worried if they cut logs off you by accident.
  5. tmeredith

They are the ones who should be worried if they cut trees off me.
    HEVI D and Onetrakd like this.
  6. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

I'd think the trees would worry the most.
    b8hickman likes this.
  7. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

I think blue paint means a jake is gobbling close by
  8. redoak

redoak Well-Known Member

What I usually see for timber marking is one spot up about 4 feet and one spot down low on the stump below where they would cut for harvest. The ideal being the only stumps you should see after harvest is complete will have blue on them. Doesn’t really apply to Walnut as they cut at ground level or lower if they really like the tree. (Take skidder blade and excavate below ground line). With the initials I wonder if someone is trying to investigate property lines.
  9. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Sometimes harvest or survey plots are marked with the initials of either the spotter or even the plot name. A lot of times they will have numbers on certain trees as well. This is especially true on pine stands where poles are marked.
    But generally speaking, blue means bye bye when it comes to trees. You certainly need to contact the neighboring landowner to find out what is going on and make them aware of the situation.
  10. Swampboss

Swampboss Well-Known Member

X2 ^^ They may have been marking poles to be cut ??
    I would suggest you also contact your neighbor and see what’s up.
  11. tmeredith

I'm going to go by and see him today. Tried to call sunday but couldn't get through. I actually lease the land that was marked but they did mark trees on my land too.
  12. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    Best take along a can of treebark paint with you and do a little "touch up" while you are there....
    John Stiles and Allenn like this.
  13. Buckrub

I don't know what blue paint on trees mean. I've seen trees painted all kinds of colors. Never mattered. Once the first yahoo steps foot on a 40, it's gone like the wild goose of winter.

And T, if you only lease, you might go visit those trees today. They are history. You are out of luck.

What I WOULD like to know about that is blue, is "What is the blue flaky stuff that gets all over our ATV tires on a pine tree lease?" It's on there every year. Can't see it on the ground, but it is all over the tires. When it dries, it flakes and falls off.

I've heard it's hardwood poison, all kinds of things. But I have no clue.
  14. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

Ummmm.... Pretty sure it is mud...
  15. Buckrub

Mud with blue coloring. Only in spots. Not just plain mud. Not unless blue mud is natural, and I missed it.
  16. tmeredith

Blue gumbo. That's what is in your tires.
    NorthUnit and John Stiles like this.
  17. pioneerp60

pioneerp60 Well-Known Member

I have seen that blue-green looking mud also . Mostly i have noticed it on new tires . I always thought it was some chemical comming out of the rubber. My side by side did it and my truck did when the tires were new.
    Allenn likes this.
  18. Buckrub

I figured someone would know. It's not natural mud, it only occurs in pine tree lease areas. It's not from the tires, it's only when driving in woods on a pine lease.

It's mud, but it's a chemical of some kind, blue in color, that interacts with the mud.

Oh well.
  19. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Iron (Fe; atomic number 26). That's what's turning your tires blue.
    Onetrakd likes this.
  20. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Most tires contain oils that are supposed to aid in preserving the tire that also are part of the cause of this. But any mud/soil containing heavy metals will turn your tires blue.