Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything good or bad about Blackthorne uppers? They seem to be much less $$$ then some others I've looked at I don't know if it's a get what you pay for thing or are they as good as any.

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
I went over to the akparts website and looked around a little. Let's take a look at the $269 A3 upper for reference. There are a few things that jumped right out at me...

The barrels are 4140 steel, most of the quality AR barrels are 4150 steel. It's a little harder and a better barrel steel. (Add $25)

Their barrels aren't chrome lined. That's a subject that causes some concern amongst riflemen, but most hard core AR shooters want chrome lined barrels and chambers. (Add $50)

Another thing I see is that it is "less the bolt and carrier assembly and charging handle". That's the heart of the rifle. It can't shoot without the bolt and carrier. (Add $150)

This is for the A3 flattop. If you want to add a removable carry handle, add another $100.

Now you have added $225 worth of upgrades to the upper and for that $495 or a little more, you can have a top quality upper form a known and reputable manufacturer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.