Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been using white hots... Bought some BLACKHORN 209..Have the Breech plugs..
Any more Tips..

·
Administrator
83,315 Posts
Standard 209 primers, not the weaker “Muzzle loader” type primers. Winchester 209’s or CCI 209M’s.

·
Administrator
83,315 Posts
Winchester standard 209’s and CCI 209M’s are considerably stronger than the “MZ” primers. Blackhorn is harder to ignite and takes a stronger primer.

I know someone will come along and say they’ve been shooting Blackhorn for years with MZ primers and have had no problem. It’s documented that the mz 209’s are weaker.

I use Winchester and CCI 209M’s.

Font Screenshot History Landscape Document

·
Premium Member
29,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Winchester standard 209’s and CCI 209M’s are considerably stronger than the “MZ” primers. Blackhorn is harder to ignite and takes a stronger primer.

I know someone will come along and say they’ve been shooting Blackhorn for years with MZ primers and have had no problem. It’s documented that the mz 209’s are weaker.

I use Winchester and CCI 209M’s.

View attachment 332035
Gotem Thanks..

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It's hotter than other powder. 100gr of white hots are not equal to 100gr of blackhorn. They recommend not using over 120gr Blackhorn in any muzzleloader. There's a load data page on blackhorn's website that helps some. I shoot 105 grains out of 2 of my guns, and 95 out of the other.

·
Administrator
83,315 Posts
Don’t set your expectations too high, it still smokes and your barrel still gets dirty.
I find there’s no build up and a lot less smoke than any of the other BP substitutes. Using other BP substitutes I’ve always had to run a patch down the bore after 2-3 shots. With BH I’ve shot 10 or more shots without having to use a patch and after I’m done shooting I pull a bore snake thru it and put it up.

·
Premium Member
29,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find there’s no build up and a lot less smoke than any of the other BP substitutes. Using other BP substitutes I’ve always had to run a patch down the bore after 2-3 shots. With BH I’ve shot 10 or more shots without having to use a patch and after I’m done shooting I pull a bore snake thru it and put it up.
Thank you Sir.... Appreciate it...

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I read on another site that blackhorn powder doesn't like a clean barrel, it was a thread on blackhorn powder weighed vs volume. Several of those guys said they were getting a lot tighter groups with a slightly fouled barrel. I can't really say yet, I sent 6 through my new MZL, last 2 in were the black @100 yds. Shooting 100gr blackhorn 209, and a 240gr Hornady xtp 50cal.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
I have shot blackhorn for several years. Shot mine today to check my scope clean cold barrel like I"ll be hunting with. hit dead center in a 1" square at 100 yards. Would have got a squirrels head. I shoot 300 gn Barnes expanders. It shoots better groups than some rifles I have shot. Blackhorn is the most accurate powder I have tried in my rifle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts