Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we all know because all the scientists have said that there are no black panthers
This photo was reputedly taken by a trail cam in North West Louisiana…

Anyway you look at it this ain't no house cat…

Text Wildlife Screenshot Font Adaptation

Attachments

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That's a melanistic jaguar. I bet it wasn't roaming in the wild in Louisiana, but it could potentially happen along the southern Arizona border with Mexico. It's still not a black mountain lion or an unknown species...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check it out….all the info is there ...It just turned up on my Facebook page…. Of interest to me because I was born and raised in NW louisiana

Can't disagree with your facts but have no clue to its origin…….. melanistic or not that is Black to the human eye… IMHO

·
Premium Member
29,741 Posts
Seen that pic before - melanistic jaguar or leopard (depending on the source) - which no one has ever refuted existing. Now black mountain lion, that is another story. Google black jaguar game cam picture and you will find that very animal really gets around - from Virginia to west Texas - and he is always in the exact same pose.:up:

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
That's a melanistic jaguar. I bet it wasn't roaming in the wild in Louisiana, but it could potentially happen along the southern Arizona border with Mexico. It's still not a black mountain lion or an unknown species...
exactly right

melanistic american cougars don't exist I don't think - that trit doesn't exist in their DNA

·
Administrator
87,966 Posts
If it's on facebook it's gotta be true. Ya can't lie on the internet...

http://www.ncwildlife.org/News/Blogs/NCWRCBlog/tabid/715/EntryId/129/The-Legendary-Cat-of-the-Mountains-and-the-Swamps-is-Just-That-a-Legend.aspx

The truth is the photo that is being spread around is of a rare melanistic phase leopard that is held in captivity in South Africa. If you would like to read about the search for the black leopard and the person who owns this particular cat follow this link “http://showme.co.za/nelspruit/news/chasing-mpumalangas-black-leopard/.

·
Administrator
87,966 Posts
Kinda make you wonder what you'd do if your wife gave birth to a kid that had "a rare melanistic phase". :head:

There'd sure be some 'splainin' to do. :fit:

Melanism

Melanism is a development of the dark-colored pigment melanin in the skin or its appendages and is the opposite of albinism. Historically, it was also the medical term for black jaundice. The word melanism is derived from the Greek: μελανός.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.