Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are looking promising for our trip to turkey hunt Miriams out in South Dakota this spring, Anyone evr hunt out there and have any suggestions!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Beautiful country, get in good shape, be prepared to walk, take lots of pics. Need a call that will reach out and touch one as well as a call that can get it done up close. OPen woods so good camo is needed. I carrried a stick with a Y in it to prop my gun up on to avoid movement. Finally the beards and spurs usually aren't the greatest on merriamsand just cause a gobble "sounds like a jake" it means nothing out there.
It will be a memorable hunt.

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Spur- I am really looking forward to it! It will be my 1st out of state Turkey hunt and we hope to bring home 1 of them blonde tipped Fans!:biggrin:

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And then next year you'll be ready to guide me on a trip up there. :thumb:
When is your trip?
Arkie You got it! I am trying to work out all the details this weekend and still trying to decide to take the 1st week or the second?? We will probably stay around the Custer area and the lenght of the trip will depend on the cash in my pockets:smack: We had planned on going last year and it didnt happen so I have to make it work this year! I sure am going to miss that week up in the Ouahita's though- I would rather turkey hunt in the mornings and jerk bass out of Ouahita in the afternoons more than anything but I am getting old and life is short! I think it will be a memorable trip even if we dont get a bird plus sure would be nice to stop in Kansas for a day or 2 on the way back but finances may eliminate that!With my job I have been fortunate to traveled almost everywhere in the last 17 years- seen Glacier Nat Park above Kalispel,Mt, Kodiak Island,Ak, Steamboat Springs,Co Cody Wy and I figure the Black hills will rank up there with the best of em!

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
It should be a great trip even if you don't kill anything... but I'm sure hoping that at least Mrs. Buba will get to put her foot on the head of a flopping longbeard. :biggrin:
I guess a couple of things on my "bucket list" include turkey hunting again in North MO as well as doing some more snow skiing in CO.
Once I see some pics from your trip this spring I may have to include a black hills trip on the list.

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing you can count on is seeing some pictures- I am about to have 36 years of being in the Photo business so Pictures Aint a problem! And you can bet the better half will get 1st opportunity at a ole gobbler:thumb: Only thing now I am concerned with is Spur's point to get in SHAPE!! Not sure that is possible for this ole fat man but I bet I can try!

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
The way I figure it, if you'll adhere to the Montgomery County Milo Distribution Workout Plan then you should be in great shape for the black hills. :thumb:

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The way I figure it, if you'll adhere to the Montgomery County Milo Distribution Workout Plan then you should be in great shape for the black hills. :thumb:
Yep sign me up! I told the wife we fixing to start heading up to Buck Knob mtn- do some scouting, some shed hunting and some EXERCISE! We turkey hunted this area last year a couple of times and I had this great plan- I identified a saddle that had some birds on it and we parked right above it- Started heading down to it before daylight and 2 hours later we still hadnt got to it:smack: It sure didnt look that far from above but bout killed this ole fat boy pulling my arse back up that dang mtn!:smack:

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Seeing as your going to be in the area you need to see the four presidents:thumb: and just a photo of the indian at the ticket gate ($10 a person you can see the same thing in 25 years cause it ain't gonna get done anytime soon):thumb:And you have to go to Lead / Deadwood

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seeing as your going to be in the area you need to see the four presidents:thumb: and just a photo of the indian at the ticket gate ($10 a person you can see the same thing in 25 years cause it ain't gonna get done anytime soon):thumb:And you have to go to Lead / Deadwood
Thanks buddy- I will put that down yes that is on our list to visit some places -didnt know about the indian but I bet I get a picture:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Yep sign me up! I told the wife we fixing to start heading up to Buck Knob mtn- do some scouting, some shed hunting and some EXERCISE! We turkey hunted this area last year a couple of times and I had this great plan- I identified a saddle that had some birds on it and we parked right above it- Started heading down to it before daylight and 2 hours later we still hadnt got to it:smack: It sure didnt look that far from above but bout killed this ole fat boy pulling my arse back up that dang mtn!:smack:
Was that the place you had hunted the morning that I stopped by and talked to you last year?
I'm gonna have to try and decide before turkey season if I want to make a long opening morning run to the north side of muddy creek or just stay close to where we are staying.

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was that the place you had hunted the morning that I stopped by and talked to you last year?
I'm gonna have to try and decide before turkey season if I want to make a long opening morning run to the north side of muddy creek or just stay close to where we are staying.
Yep thats it- in all my preseason scouting I did I found at least 1 gobbler every trip:thumb: You being a much younger man could probably handle it alil easier than me!

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I'm gonna have to start working out a little if I plan to be in turkey hunting shape by mid April.
So far I've gained 7lbs in the past month... and none of that 7lbs was muscle either. :smack:
That being said, I don't mind doing some walking when I know there are turkeys there.
I couple of years ago my first stop or two didn't produce and I was headed back down the road and decided to stop and hoot one more time.
I had one gobble way up on the side of a mountain. A little later they gobbled again and it was two birds. It was only then that I decided my chances were good enough that it would be worth the hike. Dang I sure was lazy. :biggrin:
Oh yeah... I did give one of those birds a ride back to camp with me too.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Things are looking promising for our trip to turkey hunt Miriams out in South Dakota this spring, Anyone evr hunt out there and have any suggestions!
I've never hunted in south Dakota, but have some good friends that have. Not sure if your going to the same area or not, but they hunted an Indian reservation. They said there is a huge ridge that runs for miles and miles that all the turkeys roost on. 4 hunters came back with 7 turkeys in 3 days. They also saw one field with easterns, rios, and mariams all strutting together.

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:thumb: Manybeards I would take that kind of success:thumb: We are heading to the Black Hills area, Got my applications ordered today and on there way!!!

·
3,605 Posts
I hunted the Black hills for 15 years straight! (Wyoming side)

Great turkey hunting from the dead presidents to the dead indian.

I have a good turkey hunting story on M.R. james if you would like to hear it.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I've heard it's awesome. There's a guy I used to work with that's done it all (He went to Africa AND Alaska last year), and when I asked him where to go on a turkey trip, he recommends the Black Hills.
I'll expect a full report.

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hunted the Black hills for 15 years straight! (Wyoming side)

Great turkey hunting from the dead presidents to the dead indian.

I have a good turkey hunting story on M.R. james if you would like to hear it.
OF Course I want to hear it:thumb:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
By BG
I am really looking forward to it! It will be my 1st out of state Turkey hunt and we hope to bring home 1 of them blonde tipped Fans!

If you see one of the white tipped fan birds, you will forget about the blondes

Most memorable sight I've ever sen in the turkey woods occurred in New Mexico hunting Merriams.
Three longbeards struting over a hill, all white tipped awesome blue sky in the background and a bull elk with antlers just beginning to sprout strolls between me and the turkeys. Awesome 20 seconds!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts