Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How common are black bellied whistling (or tree) ducks in your area. They are getting very common in SW AR. In fact, they probably rival wood ducks in numbers this time of year (in places). They really thin out in during duck season, but I have killed a few each of the last two seasons. I can not even find them listed in the waterfowl regs, so I am assuming you can kill six? Anyone know if there is a different limit on them?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hunt Millwood, most of the time. These things are not very wary, but they don't come to a duck call, and they don't decoy. Might have to make a tree duck call. They look very large in flight, but their body is about the size of a gadwall when picked. I did read where they will run a wood duck out of a nesting cavity and take it as their own. One thing I have noticed about them is that they will nest in dead trees right out in the open, in areas of high human use, where the wood ducks generally prefer to get back out of the way. I have seen by far more this summer, than any other time while fishing at Millwood.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've seen a few of them on our pond at my deer camp in Hope. Like was stated earlier, they seem to be there during the spring, summer and sometimes early fall, but I haven't seen one during duck season. They sure are pretty ducks. I wouldn't mind getting one mounted if given the chance. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,138 Posts
I've hunted on millwood,and never seen one.I mostly hunt at lockesburg on private land.never seen any there either.We did get some ringnecks and green winged teel last year.
those teals will sure test your shooting ability.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I killed one of em back somewhere around 95 or 96 near Dyer, Arkansas. It whistled kind of like a wigeon and one thing I noticed was how long its legs were. They hung down real far in flight. It was with another one and I made about a 50 yard shot. It was the third and final "desperation" shot. Anyway, neither of the two other guys I was hunting with knew what it was and we had to use a field guide book to identify it. It is one of the seventeen duck/goose mounts I have collected over the years. At the time, they migrated north from Mexico but were supposed to go only as far north as the Texas Gulf Coast. The taxidermist I took it to had never seen one before mine. I have alot of people ask about it wondering what kind it is. As far as I know, you could kill six of em if you were to see that many. Looks like they are moving farther north as the years go by.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.