Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I do if a black bear comes into me while I am calling coyotes and bobcats ? The season being closed on them I do not want to shoot one so how do I make it back off from me without getting myself or the bear hurt?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Wear your running shoes and take a not so good friend along. Just make sure you can run faster than him. Nothing to worry as long as you can out run your hunting companion.:fit:

·
Registered
99 Posts
People spend too much time reading Field and Stream and Outdoor Life which way over-hype the threat posed by wild animals. If they could find a story about a hunter gnawed to death by chipmunks, it would be on the cover -- then again, that might actually be news.

The most dangerous wild animal in America is the white-tailed deer -- kills a few hundred people a year in car accidents, but the magazines like to make it seem that you need to write your will before going in the woods because you're very likely to be attacked by a bear or a cougar. I know they do it it to make hunting seem more "manly", but too me it is just turning some hunters into wimps scared of their own shadow.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The danger is there ....better safe than sorry. One needs to be educated with at least common sense when they enter the woods that hold bear and cougar. I'm glad to know that danger is there so there for I might be able to prevent something bad happening. Just like sharks in the ocean one needs to be aware ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think that we could come up with quite a few things that pose a much greater threat to hunters and outdoorsmen than wild animals. For one thing, other hunters kill way more people than bears or cougars. I'm not going to begrudge the magazines an occassional bear/cougar safety article, but that isn't what they're printing.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Most bears do run away and it's true bears have more to fear than we do. Still some pilgrim manages to get eaten by one every year or two. I suppose if it were me I'd have a bear killer backup. Better a dead bear than a dead hunter.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Most bears do run away and it's true bears have more to fear than we do. Still some pilgrim manages to get eaten by one every year or two. I suppose if it were me I'd have a bear killer backup. Better a dead bear than a dead hunter.
Sound advice, if you are worried about the bears take the .308 and leave the .223 home. it will dispatch any yote!

·
Registered
266 Posts
When calling in an area where there are bears it is important to select a site with 360 viewing, no blindspots. If you dont want a bear to come in then move from your spot after 30 minutes or so and go to your next location.

I have not called in a bear, but have watched recordings of it and talked with a couple hunters who have and have been successful doing it. Calling bears requires different techniques and requires long duration continuous calling. When the calling stops the bear stops coming in. So, if you dont want to see a bear, call in intervals instead of continuously.

If by chance the stars aligned and you were confronted by a hungry bear I have been in recent discussions with a state bear biologist who assures me that bear deterent does work and is effective. I worry about bowhunting without a backup, so have been asking questions about the bear sprays.

If you do shoot a bear in fear for your life I wouldnt suggest trying to "do the right thing" and take it home. Without physical evidence of an attack you will be cited if caught.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Your exactly right about the sequence. The experience I have had is that bears will sneak into a calling set much the same as a cautious bobcat. The occurrence I had was using a bobcat set with a high pitch woodpecker distress running looped. No delay and nearly 20 minutes into the call before it came in. I could tell there was something in that area before it arrived due to the birds and Squirrels.

If you pay attention to the local wildlife real close, they will tell you what is happening. Sometimes, the action is fast and chaotic, but more often then not, I know what is happening by the sounds around me.

(Except when a hawk hits you in the head out of no where.:thumb:)

I'm curious though, why was this moved to the "Ask the Deer biologist" section?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.