Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice? Scared of decoys, won't come to calls, nto one of us has seen a Jake, and all the hens we were seeing are not around, the birds aren't coming out into the fields past 10am ....... BIZARRO turkey season

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,185 Posts
Actually one morning I had three jakes coming to my decoy after I made two or three calls and then two hens flew down in the field. That was enough to make the jakes turn around and chase the hens away from my decoy. But about thirty minutes or so later I found them again.Three shots later they are all alive and alot smarter.:smack:

·
3,605 Posts
I have seen 4 or five jakes and heard a few more.
Not many hens.
Not many gobblers.
Not much scatching.
I have not heard many birds gobble after they hit the ground.
I did scare off 2 gobblers with my decoy and had my decoy ruin another hunt for me when the bird saw it and checked up short.
I'm throwing them in the closet for the rest of the season.

I called in two gobblers yesterday and they never said a word until they saw me and spooked.
WEIRD!

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we were seeing 50+ hens in one huge bunch, then they broke and we're lucky to see 1-2 a day now. weird

December, even January my Dad was seeing Jakes, now ? Not a single one.

I'm afraid for our turky population in Baxter country. I think the pressure on the gobblers is too much. i think the wild hog expolsion will take its toll. I think 2 gobblers is 1 too many and hen fall season should be closed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i think the wild hog explosion will take its toll.
The Wild Hog problem is getting more and more common. They destroy the woods and plus the only predators they have are people. They breed so fast, its hopeless to try to control them through hunting.

BTW Not trying to hijack the thread. It has been a tough season for me also. Turkey disappeared right before season and they do not seem to want to talk. :head:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.