Binocular purchase question

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by Midnight Rider, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Well-Known Member

What power binocular would you reccomend when purchasing binoculars?

2. bowtime

bowtime Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2011-2012

8x42 are what I like for deer hunting.A 10 x will pick up more movement from yourself,Like when a big un is coming and you get a little shook up its hard to hold them steady.

3. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

What are you planning to do with it?

4. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    I like 8 as well. Like Willy asked, it really depends on what you're planning on doing mostly.

I really like the 8 power with an objective lense around 30-35. The bigger lenses do gather more light, but they add a lot more bulk. To me, compact binos are useless, so 8x30 is a good compromise. They're small enough that I'll actually have them around my neck when I need them but big enough to work.

5. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Well-Known Member

planning on doing just basic glassing, but some long distance areas. Most of the time will be able to have a rest.

6. ISLEEPU

ISLEEPU Well-Known Member

10x42 Nikon Premier. that what I use and really like. 10x42 Nikon Monnarch for the money is hard to beat.

7. DEANO

DEANO Active Member

get some 10x ... and dont skimp...buy the absolute best you can afford and you wont be sorry

8. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I have some 7 x 35 that were good when I was young. As I've gotten older I wish they were 10 x. And I second the buy as good a pair as you can afford.

9. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

I use 10x42 burris and really like them. My next pair will be 12x.

10. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

x2 i have a 10x and wish they were 8x42 instead

11. 9 toes

9 toes Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

x2

12. lowellarcher

lowellarcher Well-Known Member

8 power if you are in the timber mostly.

13. tony r

tony r Moderator<br>Bowhunting<br>Guns, Ammunition, Reloa

:thumb:

8x32
    8x42
    10x42
    one of these would be my choice:biggrin:

14. green29

green29 Well-Known Member

Delta
    I have Nikon Monarch 10X42 and they work great even late.

15. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Steiner Merlins 10x50, they are the best I have ever owned.

16. Nikon 10x40.........love nikon glass..

17. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

I have 3 uses for binocs:

1. Locally or on long trips I will throw them in the truck or car when I am driving in remote areas so I can pull over & check out an animal I see from the highway. This comes in very handy when you are driving in Wyoming or Colorado, although this can be dangerous if for some reason your significant other may not like stopping every 15-20 minutes. It's hard to see a punch coming from the passenger seat when you are looking out the window.

2. When I am lucky enough to get away on a western hunting trip (i.e. not often) I wear them on a chest mounted harness that holds them snug but lets me pull them up easily.

3. Occasional use at the range or a football game.

Based on this I bought a pair of Nikon 10-22 X 50s for all around use. A lot of people don't like variable power binocs, but these have worked fine for me.

If I hunted a lot out West I would buy a high end pair of 12X50s, for the slight weight difference and maybe the better lenses, but mine aren't heavy and are pretty clear.

Hunting locally, I use my eyes until I see something that I want to see closer, the use my rifle scope.

I don't see any danger in this and if I see something that needs shooting I am already in position.

18. I have a pair of Steiner 8X30 Predators. The coating on the lenses makes the contrast between underbrush and animals jump out ai you. As said before, spend as much as you can afford for good glass.

19. parkj5

parkj5 Well-Known Member

check out the vortex binos i wear glasses and they are great.... better than the leupolds i had.
    check them out doug is great to deal with
    http://cameralandny.com/

20. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Got 3 different sets......

Stiener 8X30.......Love em for the Auto focus

Burris 10X40 (or 42)...a Retirement gift, good and clear, a little heavier than the Stieners, but very good optics

Nikon Eagle View 8-24X Zoom........clear and really good for hunting the wide open spaces, but on the 12/16/24X settings they are kinda funky to get used to.......

Of the 3, the Stieners are the Best IMHO