Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
from what I was told by some guys down there, they passed it running down a boat lane, turned around and went back and it was still there....not positive but think they missed the first time and had to make another pass and got it....there was another one around 220# shot at that tourney also... I believe this one is the new lake record.....there were some other BAA records broke down there on carp as well....

the back straps are really good to eat....we have grilled them numerous times ....

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I know that boat ramp and I've been there during the spawn. I never seen any that big but I did see some 6 footers and we have video me grabbing a 6 footer by the tall. Ended up with us completely soaked

·
Registered
752 Posts
Back in the 50s they had bow hunting contest for these monsters at Maddox Bay. As a boy, I would go down to look at them. Also, knew some men that would fish for them in the St. Francis River down by the pumping station. They used deep sea fishing tackle. I don't hear much about them like I once did. I don't know if people have loss interest in Alligator gars or if they are just less of them now. They were pretty common back in the 50s.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
About 25 or so years ago, a buddy and I were fishing at Humphrey's landing on Des Arc bayou in a 2 man scamp. One floated up very close to us that was nearly the length of the scamp. I quietly told him to look to his left and we watched it sink back out of site. We fished out of that scamp a lot, even in a large hole in a creek that was home to an 8' gator. I don't know why, but being around the gator never bothered me. When that gar floated up, the hair on the back of my neck stood up!

·
Banned
166 Posts
About 25 or so years ago, a buddy and I were fishing at Humphrey's landing on Des Arc bayou in a 2 man scamp. One floated up very close to us that was nearly the length of the scamp. I quietly told him to look to his left and we watched it sink back out of site. We fished out of that scamp a lot, even in a large hole in a creek that was home to an 8' gator. I don't know why, but being around the gator never bothered me. When that gar floated up, the hair on the back of my neck stood up!

You may of saw a long nose gar. I’ve never heard of gator gar being around Des Arc. The little red had them back in 60’s but the habitats have changed pushing them farther south but anything is possible

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.