Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Commish Weld
22,396 Posts
That's massive. What do you do with something like that?
That's what I was thinking. I don't think it would be fit to eat. It would cost a fortune to mount, and then where ya gonna hang it. I guess you could donate it to a school or museum. Pair of custom boots maybe?

·
Premium Member
29,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gator gar is good eating. Not sure about one that size. I have seen it priced retail at $3 per pound for fileted meat. I sold some gator gar meat at 80 cents per pound back in 1978.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,492 Posts
I used to have a picture taken in the 40s where my dad shot a big one with his long bow. wish I had had it restored! It fell apart. But it was take on the saline river. I remember trying to draw his longbow when I was a teen, and couldn't get it back but a few inches. I believe it was 60 lbs. My brother in Calif. sold it while I was in Nam, or I would've still had it.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I've shot well over a thousand gar and have only had one shot ever at an alligator gar. It was about 4 feet long.....and I was so excited that I missed it by three feet. I'd love to have another shot at one and get a tag every year, but unless it was a giant I don't know if I'd shoot it or not. Are they really that rare or are they just elusive. I'd hate to be the jack hole that shot the last gator gar in Dardanelle.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,492 Posts
Any idea how old that dude was? I don't bow fish but I'm like QuailRidge, I don't know if I would of shot it or not...d2
Me either, I caught one once that was about 4' long on a banjo lure! I was hoping to catch a big striper I had seen! I got that monster to the bank 3 times before he broke my rig off, stainless ball bearing swivel on wire leader! The guys that watched me fight it said they first thought it was a big walleye, but when
He came out of the water that 3rd time, we got a good look!

·
Premium Member
29,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think they are pretty rare in Arkansas. I have seen three that I know of in Millwood in 30 years. The farther south you go, the more common. There are places along the coast where you are fairly well assured of getting a shot in a night of bow fishing with a guide.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I think they are fairly common on the White River around Des Arc. We would see them almost everytime we went, but I've never seen one just setting still like a long nose gar. We would always see them in the middle of the river just slowly surfacing and then going back down. I've sent several the size of the one in the picture. They looked to be as big around as a basketball​.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.