Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That was for mudcat Allen.
I caught a 17 pound flathead on a yoyo with a crappie hook on it. Have no idea how...
the last decent sized flathead I had, accidentally on a yoyo, as soon as we got sight of him, be rand straight down and broke the yoyo.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Good advice here,but flatheadin with rod and reel is slow,at least for me.I’m all limblines and only wanna catch flatheads.Live bait and cover is the right ideas.I catch several with the bank poles in the small eddys on white river.The Ark river is great but the treetops seem to be the best place to drop your bait here.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good advice here,but flatheadin with rod and reel is slow,at least for me.I’m all limblines and only wanna catch flatheads.Live bait and cover is the right ideas.I catch several with the bank poles in the small eddys on white river.The Ark river is great but the treetops seem to be the best place to drop your bait here.
slow is what my experience is, I just want to tackle a truly large fish on rod and reel... last time was the striper run spring before last on the ouachita river... it was great... somehow I missed it this year, I kept trying but never seemed to connect with one...

·
Registered
18,955 Posts
I see the elitist have found the catfishing now, I guess I won't share what I like to catch or eat on catfish because I don't cull anything. Same on ducks, same on bream, beer, deer, woman, trucks, you name it.

·
Premium Member
18,682 Posts
I use to work with a guy the fishes for big cats all the time. Not sure if he caught many spotted cat, but he always caught some monster blues on the red river. He would fish with bream or goldfish. He always would get around deep water off the ends of the rock jetties. He said a lot of bait fish would come through there always in the current around the jetties.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If I'm targeting flatheads I fish structure, timber or rocks. If its adjacent to deep water all the better. Fresh cut or live bait is key. Preferably bait that lives in the water your fishing. Heavy line for pulling a big boy out of the cover before he tangles you up. Flathead fishing is slow compared blues. Don't expect to catch very many a day on rod and reel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
slow is what my experience is, I just want to tackle a truly large fish on rod and reel... last time was the striper run spring before last on the ouachita river... it was great... somehow I missed it this year, I kept trying but never seemed to connect with one...
If it's a fight you're looking for, go snagging. You foul hook a 20 lb blue in the tail and you'll think you're reeling in a jeep.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I do alot of spearfishing and flatheads is one of the target species I look for.

Flatheads are the squirrels of the underwater world. They will be inside hollow stumps, under stumps, laying vertical on brush pile limbs, ive seen them 20' suspendened in a fork of a standing piece of timber in 60' foot of water. They really like rock piles, and will back into creases and crevices of rocks, as well as be hiding under them.

Long and short..if there isn't considerable rock or wood..there won't be flatheads.

I've shot 90% or more in and under stumps. The rest would be mixed between brush piles and large rocks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
so... in update, we caught flatheads on the trotline where there was timber in the water, or where there was a bluff bank with chunk rock bottom and possibly shelves of rock on the bluff... caught them in the same spots on the trotline multiple nights, so all the above info is absolute... channels and blues everywhere else on the line...

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have caught several over years off the bank on Arkansas River always caught them on cut bait. If you want learn something about big cats go to you tub and look up Steve Douglas The Catfish Dude he one heck of a catfisherman sort a legend when it come to catfishing...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts