Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the itch for a big fatty flatty...rod and reel... I live in mt ida, and fish the rivers here. I cought a 32" girl years ago, on a big bream, but want to be able to do it more consistently. I am even thinking of trying behind a dam sometime. question is: where should I focus my efforts?

I have considered just below nimrod dam, and I may make a trip to there soon just to try it. But, mostly I want to fish the ouachita river, not the lake so much... I thought about going to the pettit jean river, as well...

what are yalls thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
A guy I talked to who fished lake Conway (said his biggest flathead was around 60 lbs) gave me some advice once and said this time of year look for brim beds. He said you need to consider the brim beds an "all you can eat buffet" to a big flathead. He was running trotlines and said you want to place your lines between the brim beds and deep water. The deep water is where the big flatheads will hold up during the day and they will move up on the flats at night to feed. I figured pole fishing would be about the same thing: fish the deep water near the beds or set up where you think they will move up from. Something to try.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I like that info, Badger... when I caught the big one I mentioned, she came from (i think) the deep water just down stream from where we were set up. caught her in about 5-6 ft of water, semi swift current, right at dark, with the biggest bream I had... it was great and I want to recreate that:)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I like big live bait for them. Baby carp, baby drum, the biggest bluegill I can use, skipjack, and big shad. However I have caught lots on big chunks of cut bait as well so don’t rule that out. Look for structure as well. Sunken logs, rocks, ledges, etc. It all sounds pretty obvious and elementary but sometimes those things are overlooked. Another thing is try using a pegged float between your weight and your bait to help suspend it off the bottom.

·
Premium Member
27,138 Posts
I know Little River down here in SW AR is different than the Ouachita where you want to fish, but I have talked to a couple pole fishermen down here who like to set up just upstream of a drift pile in the river but out of the main current. They catch plenty on a bream, but prefer a 6” bullhead. They let the bait back so it is a few feet above the cover. Stout tackle so you can pull them out of the cover

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know Little River down here in SW AR is different than the Ouachita where you want to fish, but I have talked to a couple pole fishermen down here who like to set up just upstream of a drift pile in the river but out of the main current. They catch plenty on a bream, but prefer a 6” bullhead. They let the bait back so it is a few feet above the cover. Stout tackle so you can pull them out of the cover
I have no problem getting plenty of bream, but how does an enterprising fisherman procure said bullhead?

·
Premium Member
27,138 Posts
I have no problem getting plenty of bream, but how does an enterprising fisherman procure said bullhead?
one of the guys I talked to has a backwater slough on his place and he catches them in a trap baited with cheese. I have no idea how else you would get them. I think now, also, it is illegal to transport any live fish (bait fish) from one water to another

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
The good thing about mudcat is that flathead seem to be the only thing to mess with em. I catch a lot of channel cat on bream, none on mudcats.

·
Premium Member
25,668 Posts
Big Rock's,Drifts,Treetops.. Anchor above Structure..Braid Line 50lb test.. Biggest slip sinker that you can keep the bait on bottom..
Carolina Rig... Biggest Bream LIVE.,AND legal to fish.....CLOUDY DAYS ARE BEST..EARLY MORNING OR LATE EVENINGS..

GOOD FISHING.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts