Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
In my younger days, I had a good friend that raised birds and operated several "pheasant release" farms and I would help him out on occasions when he needed extra staff.... He had a guy that had falcons that would come every week on a Saturday when the hunts were over and pay us to take a pointer out to find a leftover bird.
Once the bird was located he would put the bird up in the air then walk in and flush the pheasant....
We would all stand off in the distance and take bets on either the falcon or the pheasant....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
How does a person get started in falconry? Is peaked my interest for years just never had a chance or knew where to start
Pretty sure permits are required & you really need to learn the craft from a skilled mentor, which can be sourced from people on this site. There are proven ways to catch a bird. BUT it takes a huge commitment in time & effort every day you own the bird. It’s not something you can dabble in or put down & pick up later. I thought about it once, then decided I wasn’t willing to invest that much time.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does a person get started in falconry? Is peaked my interest for years just never had a chance or knew where to start
willy is right you need a mentor/sponsor and pass a test, build facility and get your permits. It is not as bad as it sounds but def a bit of work. Most sponsors will only take an apprentice if potential apprentice spends some time in the field with them. Look up Arkansas Hawking Assiations website alot of good info there on how to get started.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts