Best way to improve shot placement

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by tdf, Dec 14, 2010.

Improved Shot Placement

1. Bedding

9.5%
  2. Trigger

45.2%
  3. Muzzle Crown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Barrel

2.4%
  5. Stock

4.8%
  6. Scope

21.4%
  7. Something else

40.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tdf

tdf Well-Known Member

What do yall think would be the best money spent on a rifle to improve shot placement. Obviously there is practice and trigger time but if a fella wanted to upgrade his rifle to get the most out of his shots, where would yall start.

2. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Best money anyone can spend. Load your own. Todays rifles are works of engineering. Factories are pumping out rifles that compare to customs of yesteryear.

Load your own and shoot more. Not only will the cartridges be better buy your shooting will improve with each trip to the range.

3. MtIda

MtIda Well-Known Member

LR
    D-dart hath spoken tha Truth.:thumb:

4. Hog_54

Hog_54 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Its called practice, practice, and more practice.

5. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Something else, nothing beats time spend squeezing the trigger.

6. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I would say use a rest to shoot off of. That is the best thing you can do for shot placement on game animals.

7. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

Hand loads and practice!

8. hunter_3780

hunter_3780 Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

it depends alot on what kind of rifle your talking about. if you had a gun with an accutrigger(or all the look alike accutriggers) then bedding. if you have a ruger or some of the guns with the harder trigger pulls then the trigger will help you out alot to.

9. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Well-Known Member

"other"... practice.

10. OughtSix

OughtSix Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Breathing, and trigger squeeze.

11. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

12. Rifleman75

Rifleman75 Well-Known Member

Learn to reload and practice. For the average shooter, most of your good quality factory rifles will shoot great. Most I've shot will shoot 3/4' or better groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. I know from my own experience if my shot placement is bad its usually me and not the rifle. There are some exceptions but they are rare. Good luck...

13. demented

demented Well-Known Member

Buy a good scope and like everyone else said, work up a load your rifle likes. I'm amazed by folks that buy cheap Chinese scope, shoot the cheapest factory ammo they can find and then continually complain that their rifle won't shoot accurately.

14. Nocked

Nocked Well-Known Member

XXX2

I was told when I first starting to collect by a old timer who had forgotten more than I will ever know.

Spend your money on your scope first then buy your rifle with what is left over,

Just because you can see through it doesn't mean it is helping you!
    There is alot more to a scope than clear glass.

15. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

I went with other. Hand loads taylored to your rifle, a smooth trigger, and a good scope...

16. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    Practice is the most important thing to do that will improve your shooting. For any mechanical item on your rifle to improve shooting is hands down the trigger, you must have a smooth, light trigger with no creep or overtravel. all my rifles have trigger jobs done on them.

17. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

Something else.........

Trigger time is the single most important factor. You take a bent barrel and shoot it enough and you can make solid effective hits! But you have to know your gun! And the only way to learn that is to get that quality shooting time together.

Every gun is an entity to itself! No two are identical and what one digests and performs with will not always be the same with another.

You have to shoot frequently to maintain the perishable skill of marksmanship!

18. nontypical

nontypical Well-Known Member

I agree with the reloading and practice but I will go one step further. Once you know for a fact you have a good shooting gun on a long range shot a good quality high power optic is really high on my list. I have shot the exact same gun and bullets {handloads} using a 3x9x40 scope then changed to a 6x18x50 and my groups went from 1.5 to consistent .5 inch groups.

19. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

I voted trigger, cause if you have a stiff one it's going to affect your shot to some degree, but like that others said practice practice practice:up:

20. Da Duke

Da Duke Well-Known Member

Practice, practice and Practice.