Best turkey gun

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by xforce-deathstick, Jan 3, 2011.

1. xforce-deathstick

xforce-deathstick Well-Known Member

malvern
    I'm thinking about upgrading turkey guns, and was wondering what yalls opinions were as far as the best gun/choke combo to go with. I'm currently leaning more towards a Remington 3.5 inch auto..Any info will be appreicated.. Thanks

2. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I looked at Thunder Sticks but when I was looking,I was seriuosly checking out the Benneli Turkey Gun in the super full choke. I went the cheap route and sawed off the barrel of my old Mossberg 500 and installed a super full turkey choke. Heck of a gun and I love killing turks with it when I can find them:smack:

3. rtipton

rtipton Well-Known Member

LR
    I have a Benelli in 3" that doubles as my duck gun. I would not hesitate to recommend a Benelli for anything. However, I have always liked Remington as well.

But...I have been thinking (dreaming) of an Over/Under, camo, with a Reflex style Red-Dot.

rtipton

4. WackinNstackin

WackinNstackin Well-Known Member

I shoot a Browning BPS 10 with a Comp-N-Choke XXX Full choke and Winchester Supreme 2 oz #6.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

I prefer a double for all my shotgunning needs and am a big fan of Citori's. Like em so much I bought two! :biggrin:

The Citori I use for turkey has a 3 1/2 chamber and I use .670 Tru-Loc Chokes in it and shoot #6 Hevi-Shot. If I know I am going to be in heavy timber all day I will Put a Modified in the bottom barrel for close shots.

Doubles are light, never rattle, and NEVER jam! :thumb:

6. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Which ever one you feel comfortable shooting. Pesonally I shoot a Browning silver, 28" barrel, Jellyhead choke, Winchester extendeds 3.5" #6.

One thing to remember is that pumps kick a heck of a lot more than automatics. I shot an 870 for a long time and always dreaded patterning my gun.

They will all work so it goes back to whichever you are comfortable shooting.

7. biggobs

biggobs Well-Known Member

I have had several over the years including a Mossberg 835 that I shot Fed Prem 3" #7 1/2's that are devastating to 40 yards +. I shot a Browning BPS 3" 12 that I loved the pattern but absolutely hate the design of the pump (always catching on my turkey vest). I started shooting a Beneli M1 Super 90 3" that I bought from J. Adams on here a few years ago. I had the forcing cones lengethened & Ballistic Specialties put a custom choke for the gun to shoot Hevi Shot #6's (same set up I used in my BPS) and I love it. It is much lighter than my previous turkey guns with a 24" barrel & there was twice this year I needed that quick follow up shot. I also like the lesser recoil than in my pumps even though I have a gas operated Browning Gold that kicks less than the recoil operated Beneli but the Beneli is very easy on the shoulder.

However, like Guitarzan my next turkey gun one day will be an over & under. I have wanted to buy one for years with a 26" barrel take it to Ballistic Specialties, have them trick it out & paint it cause like he said....you never have to worry about them jamming. Even though my Beneli never has either.

Oh & by the way I wouldn't have a 3 1/2" now after shooting them for years & it's not because of the recoil (years ago I shot my Mossberg 835 3.5" 52 times at paper in 2 days patterning the gun...) it's because of the ballistics. You can kill a turkey farther with a 3" than a 3.5" you just have less pellets. I have killed them in Kansas out to 80 yards with our 3" guns. Routinely out to 65-70.

8. jmiller1

jmiller1 Sponsor<br>www.BigTimberCalls.com

i used a benelli super black eagle for several years with an x full choke .it was the best turkey gun i have used . i had to sale it a couple of years ago do to low money . but friday i bought myself a late christmas present just for turkey hunting , a benelli super black eagle 2 .

9. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

I'll agree with this up to a certain point. Yes I have seen guns that pattern better with 3" shells than 3.5" shells. My dads is a prime example 3.5 sp 870 shooting a kicks choke. I have shot a many shells out of it and have found that 3" shells out perform the 3.5" shells hands down. My browning silver the 3.5" shells perform better. I have also killed turkeys way farther than anyone should ever test their gun out west. It's something about them fields that makes them look closer :smack:. The majority of my turkeys have been killed within 30 yards however in which about any shotgun can handle. My grandfather has 300+ kills under his belt and has never shot anything other than a 2 3/4" and 3" in a full barrel, auto 5, with lead shot. No interchangable chokes or heavy shot.

10. biggobs

biggobs Well-Known Member

I agree with you Manybeards. I should have clarified my statement by saying all things being equal it's simply physics that the same amount of powder pushing say 2oz of shot will have more knockdown than that same amount of powder pushing 2 1/4oz of shot there just aren't as many pellets out there flying.

However, you betcha that every gun shoots & patterns different so everyone should pattern their gun to see what performs the best. I went from shooting 3.5" #6's to 3" #7 1/2's out of my old Mossberg because most turkeys I shoot are less than 20-25 yards & the 7 1/2's threw such a superior pattern for my type of hunting I went to shooting those 3" loads out of my 3.5" gun.

11. Houdini

Houdini Elite Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner<br>

AR
    Tri-star O/U 3.5"....it's MO duck blind camo...but it's an awesome gun...
    .650 top barrel...3" #7 heavyweight....
    Mod. bottom barrel...3" #4 lead....

12. johnny2

johnny2 Well-Known Member

20 gauge Benelli. No kick, my ears don't ring much, a lot lighter, kills em at 45 yards. Kicks Gobblin' Thunder choke and 3 inch #5 Winchester shells

13. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I've always shot an 870. Shot a Wingmaster with the full choke barrel for years, before deciding to upgrade to something new. Bought an 870 express with interchangeable chokes. I had always shot Winchester #4 High Velocity. I liked the knockdown power, wasn't interested in just a pretty pattern, but deadly destruction. This new gun just wouldn't shoot the 4's consistent enough, so I switched to the Win #5's HV. They pattern very well out to long distances, so I've stuck with them.

I always kid my buddies who buy the 3.5" super duper magnum kill 'em at 75 yards guns. I tell them turkeys are awesome birds with unmatched colors, call them in close and look at them first!:wink:

14. thompson

thompson Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    I have and have had a lot of guns in my days. If I had to chose one that was reliable day in and day out no matter the conditions it would be my 870 sp. I still use the factory Rem super full turkey choke and shoot Fed. #6 Hev. Shot flight control. They are rated about the same as #4 with much more shot.

15. bhunts

bhunts Well-Known Member

I shoot an 835 with an Indian Creek choke and hevi-13 #5s and 6s. The pattern is devastating when I go out west, but I have missed turkeys in AR for two consecutive years because they were too close. At 20-25 yds I am shooting a baseball at a jittery target and it hasn't worked well.

This year I plan on putting the factory choke in and shooting lead #6s here in AR and switching out for my trips out west.

Love the gun though, its made for one purpose and that is turkey hunting.

16. Dermott

Dermott Well-Known Member

Xforce -

I just switched from an 11-87 to a Browning Maxus in MODB camo. It shoots 2 3/4, 3 & 3 1/2 interchangeable and has quick load & magazine cut-off features. (I do a lot of predator hunting and these features make it much easier to unload and reload between set ups.) More than that Brownings are just reputed to be more reliable. It came with 3chokes but I already had a Investor Plus Turkey choke that I bought for my Citori before I had the 11-87.

I considered the Benelli Vinci since it came drilled for optics and is so easy to keep clean. But since it did not have the 3 1/2 shell option I decided against it.

Plan to do some coyote hunting in SE & SW Arkansas (shotgunning coyotes requires a tight pattern and range like turkey hunting) with the Maxus next week and will let you know if I made a good decision.

Steve/"Dermott"

17. BPShunter

BPShunter Member<br>2008 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2

Browning Maxus 3.5 + Primos Jellyhead + Nitro straight 7's = Dead Turkey

BPShunter

18. Bowhuntr

Bowhuntr Well-Known Member

I have a 11-87 supermag with a Jelly Head in it. It shoots awesome patterns. I killed one in KS last year at 69 yards. I misjudged the distance and thought it was around 50 yards. That gobbler went down like he was hit with a hammer.

19. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I have a 10 gauge that I bought for turkey hunting. It throws wicked patterns and a huge load of shot. I hardly ever use it though. I prefer to use the 12 gauge A-5 that I do most of my shotgunning with. I am used to it and I believe you are better off using whatever you usually use to hunt with. I've missed turkeys with the 10 that I would have killed with my old reliable. And you don't need double super magnum shells to kill a turkey. The shotgun you use to shoot squirrels out of the top of a big tree will kill them at the same range you can kill squirrels.

20. spur

spur Moderator-Razorback Forum<br>Sports

nwar
    I've got a 1187 with the sure shot stock and really like the feel of it. It patterns 3" shells the best. My Old faithful is a Browning gold with a rhino choke. It kills as far as I can shoot and it patterns the 3.5" shells the best. Will be fixing up my old benelli 20 ga this year. At 5.5 # I hope to make it a killer to 40 yards with #7 hevishot and an IC choke.