Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would say the best trap for beaver would be a snare, because its safe and light weight. body traps [ie.330 size] that big are dangerous if you use one you need to have a extra person with you just in case you need help setting the trap or something goes wrong, and a foot hold trap is to hard to use and position. the ole snare works great on slides, holes and runs. plus it's a good coyote geter on fence crossings.:thumb:
good luck
map

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
330 hands down for me. For one thing it is a kill set so it only has to be checked every 72 hours. Next is that you don't need deep water to try to rig up a drowning foothold set. Also a lot faster and easier than carrring weights or filling bags for drowning.
Another thing is that I don't get as much fur damage with 330's, even with the trigger on top. I know you don't always get damage with the snares but it seems over all I have less damage with the 330s. I still use snares in some cases but I prefer the 330.
As far as the danger goes, just carry a safety gripper and there shouldn't be a problem. I even let my girlfriend run her own small beaver line without worry. This is her first year of beaver trapping and she sets the 330s by herself with the use of a one handed setter. With the setter and the safety gripper I don't worry at all about her getting caught. As for myself I think I would rather have a 330 around my wrist (yes it's happened, didn't have a safety gripper on the trap) than a CDR or a MB 750 clamped on my hand.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
330 hands down for me. For one thing it is a kill set so it only has to be checked every 72 hours. Next is that you don't need deep water to try to rig up a drowning foothold set. Also a lot faster and easier than carrring weights or filling bags for drowning.
Another thing is that I don't get as much fur damage with 330's, even with the trigger on top. I know you don't always get damage with the snares but it seems over all I have less damage with the 330s. I still use snares in some cases but I prefer the 330.
As far as the danger goes, just carry a safety gripper and there shouldn't be a problem. I even let my girlfriend run her own small beaver line without worry. This is her first year of beaver trapping and she sets the 330s by herself with the use of a one handed setter. With the setter and the safety gripper I don't worry at all about her getting caught. As for myself I think I would rather have a 330 around my wrist (yes it's happened, didn't have a safety gripper on the trap) than a CDR or a MB 750 clamped on my hand.
What type of safety gripper do you use? Do you dye your conibears(boiled dye or speed dip)? what brand 330's do you use?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I use speed dip but I do it in the summer so they will have plenty of time to dry. The speed dip doesn't dry very well in cold weather. If you're buying new traps to set right now I would just spray paint them but boil dying would work good too.
I have a several differnt brands that I've bought at conventions, flea markets and such. That last new ones I bought were Duke and when I buy some more they will be Dukes. When they first came out there were some problems with the Dukes but the ones they make now are a darn good trap. Esepecially for the money. Duke are foriegn made so If buying US made is important to you then go with the Victor Conibears. The victors are a good trap as well just quite a bit higher in price.
I believe the safety gripper I use is made by Victor.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
No doubt snares are cheaper and honestly probably are safer for someone just starting out. If you treat a 330 with respect though, just like you would a loaded gun, there shouldn't be any mishaps.
Duke is an American owned company with the headquarters in MS but the traps themselves are made in Korea.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
I've had my best luck with 3 Victor Coilsprings. I have always found it easier to trap animals catching them where they are already traveling than trying to manipulate them into going where I want them to go. I have mostly trapped in rivers with steep banks and 330 placement is difficult. I usually set for beavers where they are coming in and out of the water off to the side 4 to 6" deep.

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
If Im just passing through a place I'll use 330's.

But if I plan to trap a place for awhile, or am trying to trap a place out, and dont want to educate them, I will use snares and Footholds set up on a drowner.

Beavers get wise to 330's real fast.

If you want to clean out an area, foothold's with a one way swivel and a drowning wire is best. Make scent mound set's, and take em all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts