Arkansas Hunting banner

best time of the season to hunt merriams in NE

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tomhunter 
#1 ·
guys need some advice i would like to hunt up in nebraska but there 2022 season has not been set also im wondering if any of you guys have hunted up there what is peak gobbling activity

#5 ·
Nebraska’s firearms season will open April 14 or 15, as far as peak I would say around last few days of April or first week in May but it depends on the weather.
If you want to kill a true Merriams you will have to go to the NW corner.
Plenty of public to hunt, but it gets crowded (buy the hunting atlas)
If your going guided or semi guided start looking now.

#9 · (Edited)
Ive hunted a reservation in NE Nebraska twice. They set their own season. Once I went in late March and had a great hunt and the second time was in May and had a great hunt. These were draw hunts and DIY. No guides. The first morning I hunted, I was sitting in my truck and reservation police pulled up, asked me for my permit asked me my plan and then told me to drive back a 1/2 mile and take a logging road and I could access the same area and save some wear and tear on the feet. Very helpful. Same for the reservation wardens. I saw a group of strutters when driving in to tag bird #1 but the map showed them to be off the reservation. I mentioned it to the warden and he said lets go look. we drove there and he showed me there was a ditch that separated the field and the birds were on the reservation side. 30 minutes later I was at the truck tagging bird #2. The warden waited on me and watched. Tagged the bird on the spot. Again friendly and helpful.
One word of caution, the earlier you go the greater the chances of dealing with cold/ snowy weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.