Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
squawks? Cold as its gonna be in the morning what time would yall hit the woods for some still hunting? Don't have a dog and I've noticed deer hunting the squirrels usually get up a bit later on a cold morning. Haven't hunted them in years but I'm ready to try it again and I know there are plenty in the woods I hunt

·
Registered
608 Posts
squawks? Cold as its gonna be in the morning what time would yall hit the woods for some still hunting? Don't have a dog and I've noticed deer hunting the squirrels usually get up a bit later on a cold morning. Haven't hunted them in years but I'm ready to try it again and I know there are plenty in the woods I hunt
This time of year can be tough for still hunting. Movement has slowed down quite a bit. Although they’re easier to spot, so are you. Makes it tough to sneak up on them. Be ready for longer shots. I still show up at daylight and hunt for a few hours regardless of temp.

·
Super Moderator
10,863 Posts
This time of year can be tough for still hunting. Movement has slowed down quite a bit. Although they’re easier to spot, so are you. Makes it tough to sneak up on them. Be ready for longer shots. I still show up at daylight and hunt for a few hours regardless of temp.
This. Also most the squirrels this time of year are usually on the ground, so keep that in mind

·
Registered
673 Posts
I use a dog this time of year,but on real cold mornings I usually start around 8:30 or so

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I’ve squirrel hunted my whole life and so far the only thing I’ve figured out is that I don’t know how to predict squirrel movement. But I have figured out that I’ve never killed any when I wasn’t out there. So, I just go and sometimes I get lucky.
But they do seem to roll out of bed a later on cold mornings.
on January 3, 2020, we hunted from 10am to 2pm. Killed two squirrels the first two hours, killed 24 the next two hours. Sometimes it’s just like the good Lord flips on the squirrel switch.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thing is while slipping around deer hunting they act like they never saw a human lol. But I already know it will be a whole different game when I'm hunting them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts