Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a H&R Ultra slug hunter two years ago in 12 ga. I'm wanting to find the best possible slug round for it. I hunt Cross county as well as Iowa and am wanting about 2-3 different types of slugs to try out. I've been shooting the Hornady SST slugs and they work pretty well. As always, I'm wanting the find the best round I can. I've read some about the Lightfield hybred elite series slugs and am going to try them as well as the Remington Core-loks. If any of you bullet slingin gurus can help me out, I would appreciate it. I don't want to spend a small fortune on trial and error, so any info would be great. Thanks.

· Registered
34 Posts
If you don't mind a little recoil, try out the Remington Buckhammer 2 3/4" shell. They also make a 3" Buckhammer, but the recoil is considerly more. This round is deadly upon impact. Even if you are off a few inches, the trauma it causes is devastating. I used this round to kill a decent 8 point during the Cache River Permit hunt this year. I used to use Remington Copper Solids and Accutips, but due to costs, switched over to the Buckhammer round. BH round is kinda hard to find here in AR however, but during the Spring and Summer, they can be bought for around $5-$6 box at Midway gun and ammo online store or cheaperthandirt.com. Good luck to you. Always appreciate a fellow slug hunter.

· Registered
561 Posts
I like the Lightfield Hybred Expansions for my Savage 220 slug gun. I've shot Fusion Sabot Slugs, too. Not a ton of difference IMO for the range I shoot. Both are dead on at 50 yards. I will say I pushed the Lightfield 12 ga. ammo to the max 100-115 yds. two years ago and hit what I was shooting at, but not exactly where I wanted, and found him about a month later picked clean by coyotes. When i shot, I found blood, bon fragments, my slug, and hair but he stopped bleeding after 25 yds in the rain. I won't take that shot again, especially without a rest. I honestly thought the shot was about 75 Yds when I made it.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I hunt Cross county, my shots aren't gonna be much farther than 70 yards through timber. The SST's have worked great for Arkansas and i've taken 3 deer that were pushing the 200-230 pound range, and didn't have to track any over about 50 yards. But in Iowa, the shots are gonna be possibly longer and the bodies much bigger. I don't mind paying quite a bit for slugs, because after I find the best one for my gun, I will only shoot it a few times a year to make sure it's still on and once or twice for killing purposes. I killed one in Iowa last year with the Hornady's and he didn't go anywhere (because I shot him in the base of the neck like i wanted). I want a round that will hold the best group out to 150-160 yards, and still have enough kinetic energy to kill a 300 pound deer. mwells, how hard is it to get into casting your own? Is it worth the effort? Thanks guys for the responses.

· Registered
34 Posts
If you are looking at good groupings at 150 yds. you may want to try the Remington Accutip Slug. It designed to perform great groupings out to 200 yds. It is basically a .54 cal. It is lethal looking. Check it out at remington.com. It is very pricey though. All of the local shops carry it as well.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are looking at good groupings at 150 yds. you may want to try the Remington Accutip Slug. It designed to perform great groupings out to 200 yds. It is basically a .54 cal. It is lethal looking. Check it out at remington.com. It is very pricey though. All of the local shops carry it as well.
The accutips are definitely on my list of slugs to play with. I know Hornady says the SST's are able to hold groups at 200 yards but out of my H&R they wont do near well enough at that distance. If I could get 4" groups at 160-170 yards i will be thrilled. I feel 200 yards might be asking too much from a slug gun, whether it's one like mine or a high dollar one. I could be wrong though. We reload our own rifle rounds, I am kind of curious if you can reload your own slug rounds. If it's even worth a try. Possibly make a few "Hot loads" to see how they might work. There's just not a lot of literature on it that I've found.

· Registered
34 Posts
I have also tried to find out information on loading your slug rounds, but have been unsuccessful. I just don't know if the work that would go into it (trying to get the right recipe) could duplicate what comes from the factory in regard to rifled slugs. Good luck to you and let us know what you chose. It is amazing out different barrells react with different shells.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.