Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,427 Posts
Durana clover does fairly well in semi shade. Shade actually protects it some during summer. Problem is, clover wont be ready to hunt this fall. Plant wheat. It will make something green this fall - even in shade. Cheap enough even if it is a bust, you are not out much. I would plant 100 lbs on that 1/2 acre - about $20

·
Registered
860 Posts
oats and winter wheat seems to be the best I have found to work where I hunt. I'm up in the hills and plant on the side of a mountain on old logging roads...only problem I have is I have to blow the leaves off the food plots in the woods or they completely cover them up.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oats and winter wheat seems to be the best I have found to work where I hunt. I'm up in the hills and plant on the side of a mountain on old logging roads...only problem I have is I have to blow the leaves off the food plots in the woods or they completely cover them up.
Same here, I always hope the turnips would be tall enough to not be affected by leaves.... Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

·
Premium Member
33,528 Posts
Did the deer feed heavily on that rye grass?
Saw at least 20 Deer each day I hunted.. (Muzzleloader season)Not all at the same time...
Harvested my Two Bucks...My Dad Got his two and my Brother Missed one the Last Saturday morning of Muzzleloader season...
We have 2 10 Acre plots and 6 Smaller plots and seeded all our Roads throughout the property..
Last deer didn't get a good pic..my Brother shot..didn have good signal had to go check on him..Didnt get a Good pic..We get out 2 legal bucks and get out..Deer sanctuary Rest of these year..
No more hunting over it this Year.. except coyotes...
Have clover and Turnip's in their also..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,528 Posts
Started our Farms in 1973..My Uncle moved to Texas to start a Real estate company...
The money he made in Texas"Higher property prices" Bought cheaper land in Arkansas..
Bought the 1St 320 ac..at 50 DOLLARS an Acer with the option for the whole 640..
Didn't think he could afford it..50 DOLLARS for land in Arkansas at that time was high .... espically if it was wooded.."Couldn't raise a cow"
We have added 40 & 80s as we could afford it..
No deer..None..at that time..
In the early 80s a Dentist bought 1500 ac that joined and started a fox pen and cattle farm..
Fox pen didn't work..Turned into a Deer farm..
High fence 10' Around the whole 1500 AC..
Some of the deer trickled over on our property..
We Started planting food plots.. we called em truck patches..Peas,Corn, potatoes, tomatoes and watermelons...
Watermelon took off became our crop.sold thousands of watermelons...
The Deer Started increaseing..I killed the 1st deer off the property in 1975....
We my family leased 1000 Acre in Calco Rock..1 DOLLAR an acre 10 members....100 dollars a piece....Where we Deer hunted..
Didn't start Deer hunting the Farms until the mid 80s early 90s....
My Grandfather passed away in 1995....
What once was all the family farm..now was split up....
My uncle passed away last year then his wife..
We are now in the process of putting it all back together.... Family..Cousins,ECT...
We have reestablished food plots and deer stands on each 40..
My Dad and I have tried to manage ours 160 &180. ..
Has been a chore Bushogging and paying taxes..
Good Hunting..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.