Best "Old School" hunting coats.

Discussion in 'Reviews-Products/Gear/Guides/Outfitters' started by firehog, Jan 7, 2018.

1. It's 1978 and it's the family's annual squirrel hunt. The old cabin had a big pot belly stove and it was almost glowing red this early morning November day. My uncle had stoked it up and as he open the door to retrieve some wood I could feel the cold air. My granny and a few aunts where frying bacon and making home made biscuits. All my uncles and cousins were coming to their feet and wiping the sleep out of their eyes. This was a tradition, a tradition that sticks with a young boy for a lifetime. I was shooting my trusty 20 gauge pump and it's oak stock was weathered from many years of use by my grandpaw. After breakfast and everyone grabbing their shells, we entered the coat room. This was a place situated between the kitchen and the 4 bedrooms. It was picked out many years ago before I was born, to hang hunting coats and not get in the way. Mainly from bringing them in dripping wet, or dripping with blood. My uncles had nailed up cedar logs with branches to hang hats on. Something I never noticed as a child growing up but the smell of that room had a distinct smell that still sticks with me today. It's a combination of waxed canvas, cedar and squirrel. I still have that old shotgun, the firing pen is very weak, but it fires every once in a while. I don't have my original waxed hunting coat though I wished I did. I imagine it has plenty of stains still on it. I do still wear wax or cotton hunting coats, my two favorite are Redhead and one that Beretta makes. Do you have a favorite hunting coat? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

The in the late 70’s, Orvis made a thick camo rain coat with a thick felt on the inside. The camo print was primitive compared to today stuff, but that coat was a 1 coat wonder for ducking. But the shell pockets, dry rotted off pretty quit . As far as windproof, waterproof and warmth, it was ahead of its time. Long before neoprene.....

3. Was it the old brown camo? Duxbak still makes an old brown camo canvas jacket. I loved that print if that is what it was.

4. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I remember hunting in the old waxed cotton coats. Herters, Duxbak, Redhead.
    I have 2 McAlisters that I bought as closeouts. I like them if it is cold and windy.
    I wish I would have bought the bibs before they stopped making them. I've never wanted to spend the money for Filson.

giveout likes this.
  5. No-till Boss

This was the pattern, they had a shorty coat and longer version. [​IMG]

6. My wax is a coat that I love to wear, but it's not one you need to hump great distances in or you will build up some sweat.

7. That's it, this is the best camo pattern for timber duck hunting in my mind that's out there. I do like Mossy Oak Bottomland and all I own now is bottomland but I would certainly buy some new stuff in this camo if I could find it.

8. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Columbia has a chamois shirt in this pattern. I found them at Webb's and all they had were Medium and 2XL. Wish I had gotten the item number because I haven't been able to turn it up in any online searches.

9. It's a hard pattern to find or in the size I need that's for sure.

10. Here's a Columbian jacket in that camo.

images.jpg

11. No-till Boss

The very first Columbia’s Widgeon’s were good jacket too, until they farmed them out from the original makers. Then they were junk ...

12. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    My grandad has one like that.

13. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

I've got a military arctic parka that was my hunting coat throughout my teenage years. Huge, heavy, theoretically waterproof, olive drab thing with a million pockets and coyote fur around the rim of the hood. Very warm. Could have spent the night in it like a tent and not been bothered by the cold. So many pockets I would lose things in them. I would pick up interesting items found in my wanderings and put them in the pockets, then find them the next season when I wore it again. I came across that parka recently while going through some junk. In one of the pockets was a handful of elk turds from the last hunt I wore it on, in Colorado, in the late 80s. I put them back in the pocket. Interesting find for another day. Or maybe for the next owner.

Luv2hunt and firehog like this.
  14. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    When I was a young kid, didn't have much money to spend on hunting clothes. Had an old second hand GI olive drab jacket, & boots that weren't insulated or waterproof, & blue jeans. Being cold & uncomfortable didn't bother me much back then....I just wanted to be in the woods with a gun. Today, I wouldn't think about going out there without good warm camo clothes & boots. My closet is full of good camo everything. I remember the 1st piece of camo I bought as a kid. It was more of a shirt, than a jacket... but it was camo, & it wasn't warm. Didn't matter. I thought I was top dog with that cheap ole camo shirt.

firehog likes this.
  15. Tal_H._Branco

Tal_H._Branco Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In the late fifties or early sixties a company sold work/hunting coveralls for cold weather that had three layers; an outside layer of heavy cloth and a smoother layer inside. Sandwiched between the two layers there was a foam layer about 1/4 in thick. I bought one pair primarily for tracking and hunting predators in the snow, but used them while deer hunting in rally cold weather. After about three years of use in the mountains, the bottoms of the legs got pretty frayed.

During deer season we had dogs running on the south side of the Cock Spurs and couldn’t get anyone in the right place to get a shot. I ran down the trail in the Cave Creek hollow when the dogs started in that direction. When I got to the bottom of the hollow, I saw a small fire right along the east side of the creek, but there was no one around close to it. It was bitter cold that day, so I backed up close to the fire, listening to the dogs headed my way. After a few minutes, I felt my right leg getting too hot. Looked down and saw the pants leg on fire. I reached down, with no gloves on, and started swatting that pants leg to put the fire out. BIG mistake! That damn foam was burning like crazy, and the molten stuff stuck to my hand and fingers and was still flaming. I quickly put my rifle on the ground, wheeled and jumped into the creek and shoved my hand under water. I’m telling you, that stuff burned my leg and hand like the dickens!

It was a long, cold and painful walk back up the mountain to my truck. I burned the rest of those coveralls in the camp’s fire pit.

Dave57 likes this.
  16. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

The Guys that founded McCalister have restarted Duxbak, It looks like good oldschool gear until they sell it to someone that moves production to China. It is priced about like Filson.

17. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

Best coat ever made....
    To noisy for deer huntin but it’ll keep you warm and dry for any other outdoor activities
    IMG_1518956516.405863.jpg

18. lukas99

lukas99 Well-Known Member

Is the area your talking about out here around paron?

19. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    How are these vs the old wick coats

20. Tal_H._Branco

Tal_H._Branco Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes Sir. South side of the west Cock Spur Mountain, along Cave Creek. Road to the mountains turns east off #9 near water-shed divide -and Saline/Perry County Line- a few miles north of Paron.