Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if ya'll aren't going to post any. At least go look at the link. There are a some good funny stories in there. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
My first deer ever WAS going to be a legal doe, until Federal cartridges let me down. I still have that 30-30 cartridge, big fat dent in the primer, never went boom. The deafening "click" sent the doe a flyin', so I jacked another round into my Winchester '94 and that one did go bang, but all I got to show for it was a hole in a tree! :smack:

That's the only centerfire, factory-loaded cartridge I've ever had fail. Mr. Murphey was with me that day! :frown:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm sure there are lots of excuses, I mean miss stories from blackpowder hunters, we know how unreliable those things are. This year will be my first year to use one. I'll post back after ML season:cross:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
As it is with many, my "best miss" (none of them are good) was with a MZ. It was opening day of MZ season and I was in my stand before dawn ready for action. For some reason, I failed to follow my normal ritual of firing a dry cap before the hunt. Well, about 30 minutes after daylight, a big ol' fat doe came by. I put the cross hairs on her and squeezed the trigger. First there was the sound of the cap firing, but the sound of the charge going off was delayed a bit. As you might guess, I missed her. What's odd is that she didn't run off. I almost got reloaded before she decided to mozy on. I redeemed myself about an hour later when another doe came by. She wasn't so lucky. For that matter, the first doe wasn't so lucky either as she came back by about 30 minutes after I shot the second doe. This time the charge fired just fine. Two big ol' does in the freezer. :up:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
It was late October, cool, breezy, just a hint of dampness left when I climbed down from my stand. I had been hunting a group of Swamp Chest Oaks that were dropping. I had seen a couple of small bucks and a few doe come in but the rubs closeby held me off from shooting. I guess it was about 11 when I started back to the truck for some lunch. As a eased along a doe fed out into the road in front of me about 20 yards away, then another and another. I got an arrow out of my quiver and slipped it on the string and waited for one to turn broadside to me. The wind gusted and swirled quickly and three heads went up and three bodies went in three directions fast. I could hear brush cracking and breaking and then one crossed from right to left and one from left to right, one jumped back into the trail and looked right past me and jumped back in the woods. Then all three came running right at me, right at me. Not near me but right at me. I drew my bow and the first one turned at about 5' as did the second one, the third one was in mid air and eye level when I loosed the arrow and a few white hairs drifted onto my face. My arrow was stuck into a small tree with no more than three hairs on it about 10' away. I followed the does trial for about 100 yards in the mud and leaves. No blood, no hairs and no deer. A miss at 5'...:smack:

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I was deer hunting with a crossbow one morning. Through the woods I saw 3 longbeards come straight at me. They got within about 15 feet of me and the stand and I thought this was going to be a piece of cake to nail one of them with the crossbow. I fired and the turkey jumped up almost into the stand with me at the "twang" of the crossbow. Of course i shot under the bird due it jumping. The arrow got stuck in a tree root and never could recover it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I've had my fair share of misses. Thirty years ago, my dad and I were going, we had some hounds to turn loose, as we were driving, we came upon a spike standing in the road, I bailed out, the spike high tailed it, he ran a little half circle and came back out in the road, I put it on 'em and pulled the trigger just as a pine sapling came into my line of fire. Killed that sapling plumb dead. My dad turned loose the hounds, and told me to stay there, as the spike would likely circle and come back, and he went up the road a ways to another crossing.

Sure enough, the spike circled and was on his way back, I'm getting ready for some more action, suddenly I hear a noise behind me, I turned to see one of the top 2-3 bucks I've ever seen on the hoof, he was truly a bruiser, he saw me about the same time I saw him, scared the fire out of both of us. He was no more than 10-15 feet away, somehow, I missed. I may have shot straight up in the air for all I know, but more than likely, I shot at those wide heavy horns. Still hurts too, he was a real good one, a 10 point............I think.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I shot at a nice buck one time at 30 yards from a climbing tree stand with a Browning Lever Action in .308. I forgot to chamber a round in the rifle. I have made ever mistake possible in deer hunting. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,224 Posts
South Dakota about 1964 - a buddy and I were on our way from the Air Base - using the back roads - to our hunting area - before we get on the side of the freeway where we could hunt we see this HUGE BUCK about 50 yards off the left side of the road. We get out, load our guns, and empty them at him - ****** (my buddy) reloads and empties again - that buck ain't move a muscle all the time we're shooting and as far as I know he is still alive to this day - naw - somebody had to have been better shots than us!

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Back when we had a 2 week season...1 week in Nov & 1 week in Dec........it had rained almost constantly for the full week, and few deer were moving...most of the guys were sitting it out in camp, playing cards, and keeping the fire warm........I decided I was gonna kill something,as the freezer was low and headed out...I got settled in on the stand, just as the bottom fell out, and I could hardly see the ground...then it stopped and it wasn't 5 minutes when a young forked horn buck waked out, and walked up to withing 20 yards...........I had the T/C Contender in 35 Rem with me...it was untested..........I eased the hammer back, settled the scope on his shoulder, squeezed the triggger.........and all I got was a click!!!! I knew I had chambered a round, I waited a few and pulled out the Remington Factory Hard Primered round, with just a small dent in it.....I muffled a few choice words, and put another round in, and click.........I was really mumbling them choice words by then, and I dropped the 3rd round, saying, kinda loud."You better shoot you SOB!"

And all I got was another Click!!!!:mad::mad::censored:

The buck heard me and left..........but 30 minutes later, he came back, and the T/C roared that time and he was down!!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I have two miss stories. The first took place opening weekend of bow season about 20 years ago. My friend and I were bowhunting in south Arkansas. I was hunting an oak ridge in the middle of a pine plantation. I was using a ladder stand and my feet were 10 feet from the ground. I spotted a doe and spike feeding through the woods toward me so when I got the chance I stood up and got ready. The spike fed right up to the bottom of my ladder. He was so close that his body covered all my sight pins. I released just knowing I had dinner on the table. All I got was about 3 drops of blood and a few hairs. The arrow never entered his body and I watched him for about 15 minutes till he walked out of sight.
The other miss happened in almost the same place. It took place the opening day of muzzleloader season. I had been in my stand about 30 minutes when I spotted a deer feeding along the ridge below me. The deer was about 40 yards from me when I pulled the trigger. When I shot I saw a small tree that I had not seen get shot in two before the smoke obscured everything. When the smoke cleared the deer was walking back the way it had come. As I watched the deer stopped then resumed feeding right back to me. As the deer came closer it got a large oak tree on me and I could not see the deer but I could hear it eating acorns. I let it get less than 10 yards from me and leaned where I could shoot around the tree. Second time was the charm.

·
Premium Member
18,386 Posts
I've had the muzzle loader "slow fire" on me as well. Not only is it inconvenient, it HURTS like everything when you have removed it from your shoulder to see what is going on and it suddenly goes bang!

My most memorable miss was the opening day of deer season when I was 12 or 13. I was bowhunting for the first time and a little buck came in. Got ready, shot and missed. Nocked another arrow, shot and missed. After the third miss I was out of arrows and the buck just walked off. I went and collected all three, walked home, cried a little, and started practicing even harder! Buck fever is such and AWESOME rush and it got me that day. I hope I never get over it completely.

·
3,605 Posts
I had a 150+ class buck hang up on the other side of a 2 strand barbwire fence 40 yards away once. He watched the other deer between me and him for 30 minutes without taking a step. I finally decided to take the shot slightly quartering towards me. It was getting dark fast. There was nothing but field between me and the 2 strand fence and the buck was 2 feet on the other side. My arrow hit in the center of the top strand, stuck in there and flipped over and broke on the bucks back. Half of it was still in the fence when I walked over there and looked. It is still there to this day and that happened 12 years ago!

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
When I was about 15 I lost my wallet one morning turkey hunting. I didn't realize I had lost it til about 2:00 that day so I went back looking for it. When I got out the truck an owl flew above me and hooted. In the back ground I heard a turkey gobble. Well I started walking and the owl followed me hooting every few minutes and everytime he hooted the turkey would gobble. Finnally I took off sprinting to the turkey and the owl followed. When I stopped to pinpoint the gobbler the owl hooted and the gobbler gobbled within 75 yards of me around a curve in the trail so I set up and yelped one time and within 5 minutes I had 2 gobblers running down the trail 20 yards away so I pulled up and BANG. Well both turkeys take flight so now I'm sitting there tring to figure out how I missed when all the sudden I hear wingbeats of a turkey. So now I'm thinking I hit the turkey and he just flew a little ways and was now flopping. So I take off running through the woods at the flopping and I run within 20 yards of the 2 turkeys which are fighting not flopping so I pull up again and BANG both turkeys fly off again:banghead: I had missed twice within just a few minutes apart. On the up hand I found my wallet.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This story is not about me but my hunting buddy. It was during the gun hunt and he was using a MZ, it was cold and rainy. He rode with me and when we got to our land we set a time to meet back at the truck and took off our seperate ways. The moring was pretty quiet as far as hearing shots and I didnt see any deer. The rain set in pretty hard and it was time to meet at the truck so I got down and headed that way. When I got the truck I looked off to side and up the woods lying on the ground was camoflauge legs coming out from under a big hollowed out stump. I was thinking what the **** so I went over and nudged them and it was my hunting buddy. He woke up and told me he had a nice buck come out and his MZ didnt fire just got a snap and thats it, he tried a new cap and nothing. He said he got mad and came to sleep in the truck for a few hours till I got there. What he didnt know was that I locked the truck and he couldnt get in, so he crawled up in that stump to stay dry. One of the funniest things I have ever seen...:fit:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
My best miss. I call it my worst. 2 years ago in during the rut, I witnessed my first buck fight about 60 yards away. They clashed 7 times in about 10 minutes. After the fight, the "loser" came straight in to my feed plot. After seeing my first fight I was more pumped up than ever in the woods. I was so pumped that my back was hurting like close to my kidneys. The loser, a thumping 10 point, was to be the best buck I would have ever drawn my bow on. The winner, a pretty beefy 8 point walked toward me to but just outta range. The loser was really limping hard on 1 of his front legs. When he was at around 23 yards the other buck gave a grunt that stopped him right in plain view. I drawed on him, set my sight on the perfect shot, and released. The arrow went right under his chest and from what I could tell after finding the arrow, it appeared that I may have just graized him under his chest. I found 2 drops of blood where he stood after the shot for about 30 seconds. Needless to say, he lost twice that day, but I was the biggest "loser". I will say the fight was the most exciting thing I have ever seen.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
About eleven years ago during the smoke pole hunt I had just bought a Hawkins 50 cal off of a friend and I knew the weapon was right on. The land I was hunting the owner want some of the does eradicated. I was coming up the trail to a clearing when I spoted there in the field so I raise up and shoot the ML roared and after the smoke she was still standing. I ease down the trail and reloaded slipped back up tried again and missed again.:smack: So back down the trail reloaded for the third time slipped up put my sight at the very bottom of her belly and this time she went down cause it broke her back. Now I am no strander to black powder but I learnt later that pirodex powder (I think I spelled it right) was different and I was useing to much and was the problem the whole time.:fit:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Probably my most frustrating moment as a hunter, 15 or so years back, got up that morning bright and early, my truck wouldn't start, fiddled with it till around 10 or 11, got it running and headed to the woods. Got there in time to meet my two buds tell me they hadn't seen a thing and were headed home. I decided to head down to the river where I could watch 3 shoals. Just got sit down, and was gonna enjoy a can of vienna sausage. I was pouring the juice off into the water, ( I was on a little bluff), when I finished, I could still hear water splashing, I got to looking and saw a huge buck crossing at the far shoal. I had the sucker dead to right, he was dead meat. I put it on 'em with the .06, I can stil see water splashing into the air from the shot, he wheeled about and headed back , I went to shoot again, and the #[email protected]$^&* 742 had jammed :censored:.

I frantically got busy trying to get another round chambered, cut my hand up pretty good working the action, finally got it done, and saw him standing on the bank top, trying to decipher where the shot had came from. I know I rushed the 2nd shot, and saw his rear go over the bank. I knew I had to hit him, so I waded the river and got to looking, I did draw blood.

But here's the odd part, he had a pack of hounds on him, and this kinda gives testament to how great a survivor a mature buck really is. He was so far ahead of the dogs, you couldn't hear them. He had ran down the other side of the river where there was big bluff for 2-300 hardred yards to where it tapered down to a field, then he ran back up the bottom of the bluff to the shoal where I first saw him. He was gonna cross the river to lose the dogs. After I shot at him, he backtracked towards the field, when I got across the river, I finally heard the hounds, they were kinda cold trail barking, when they got to where he had backtracked to, they hit a higher note, and ran the buck out of hearing. I bad wanted to wrap that gun around a tree, instead sold it the day after the season ended.

Looking back at how that buck went to great lenghts to survive that day is simply amazing. He definately knew what he was doing, and how to lose that pack of hounds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts