Best Hunting Thread EVER!!!

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by Matthew.loftis, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was just using a bait and switch title...

You guys (and gals) remember when people were excited for you when you had a successful hunt? Even through their slight jealousy, they'd give you a pat on the back and toast a brewsky around the campfire to your prize. I know this topic has been done to death; but, I really pray that we can get back a little bit of that which has been lost on the pride and envy of "hunters" today.

I don't blame it on the technology of the age, ie. spinners, dfbs, megas, rage broadheads or high powered rifles. I blame it on the age that spawned the technology. Good luck to everyone out there taking a stand for morality and respect. :up: I applaud those of you who give a darn a/b something more substantial than those things you own.

My New Year's Resolution... be more empathetic and quit bashing my fellow outdoorsman.

:flag:

2. SARAH

SARAH Well-Known Member

Excellent post:up: and great resolution:clap:

3. STP1959

STP1959 Well-Known Member

Exzacalactly :thumb:

4. thelineman

thelineman Well-Known Member

When someone is successful most people are jealous.

5. TRT

TRT Well-Known Member

Amen Preach on Brother!!

6. Matthew.loftis

You're 100% correct. I'm the world's worst at being jealous. I just think you can be jealous of and happy for someone at the same time. One of those "Great job! I wish I had done that well." kind of things. The problem is I've become selfish and complacent over the years. Especially when it comes to duck-hunting. I am a whole different man come season opener.

7. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

Good post.

It helps to realize that your prize is not here on earth. Lets focus on what we can do for each other instead of being self serving all the time. I am guilty as charged.

8. cuppedup

cuppedup Well-Known Member

Loftis, I don't know you well, but from my dealing with you I could tell right a way you were a stand up kinda guy. Never figured you for one to be a basher. I don't blame the jealously on any one group of people. The true old timers say it's my generation, my generation blames it on you young guns. I don't know who you young guns cast the net over but what I have seen more than not is that they're are still more of us than there are of them. Meaning: there are still more good guys than bad. It's just that most folks only talk about the bad. For instance: I had a post about these guys in Bayou Metro that stopped to help one day when I spun the hub on my prop. These ole boys drug my boat and me w/ 2 friends to "their" hole and we had a good hunt.(I did share my sasuage biscuts with them) Then they drug us all the way back to lower and they had put in at longpond. That post received 3 comments.
    If more of us would "accentuate the positive" it might rub off a little more often.
    My .02

9. Matthew.loftis

:up: people love the bad.

10. Bowman

Bowman Well-Known Member

NEA
    The biggest buck taken on our land to date was taking during the Nov. gun hunt...It wasnt taken by any of the 3-4 of us that hunt it all the time..It was taken by a freind of ours that had lost his place to hunt...(This same guy let me hunt his place for a few years and I am grateful for that)...He killed the buck off a stand I had hunted hard and fed since Oct..I told him great job and wasnt a bit jealous, I love to see others get deer..I am part of the generation that is talked badly about..I dont blame generations, I believe its how you were raised..There are bad apples and good ones on all trees.

11. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

Bowman and Cuppedup, you both make good points. I also wish we would hear more of the good things that go on, rather than all the negitivity. Seems people are quick to jump on someone who has a little success, and try to find faults in how that success was achieved.

Good thread

Carl

12. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There was a response to a thread on another forum here that said something to the effect that "if you are not hunting our way, then you are wrong". I hope this was said in jest, but there is no doubt, that a number of the folks on this forum actually beleive this. These same folks, in their responses to other person's posts, often use the terms "stupid", "dumb or dumbest", "idiot", and other derogatory descriptions. None of us are perfect. Something that works for me because of the way I hunt, may not work for you, because of the way you hunt. Many folks assume that the conditions they experience are the same for everyone, statewide, so their chosen method should work, statewide. There are guys who might only see one small, legal buck, in a season. Who are we to belittle him for killing it. Others might see fewer ducks in a mornings hunt than some of the guys on here are killing in a morning. So what if the guy seeing 20 ducks is using a spinner. Conditions, skill levels, experience, availability of hunting land and equipment, financial condition, etc. vary from hunter to hunter. The important thing here is that we, as hunters, all stick together. There are way more non-hunters out there than us hunters. We need to hang together, for if not, we will surely hang separately.

13. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to share a few positives for the season while were at it then.

A guy that frequents the forums here "Bigmac" let my father in law hunt his secondary stand since he didn't have a place to hunt. He killed a doe that morning from it. Thanks Jeff!

He also showed me around the lease and helped me find some good hunting spots that he already knew about. We have worked together ever since with any new sign or sightings we see. :up:

14. Matthew.loftis

Good to hear Tuner. I say let's open this thread up to comments a/b situations where a fellow hunter did something admirable. I agree that we should most definetely focus on the more positive notes. I mean if we did that, maybe it would rub off.

SwampCat... my earlier post was written in jest. Hey, a little sarcasm is okay if it's not directly demeaning right? :shrug:

Here's one short positive... The farm I hunt in Bayou Meto is owned by an old man I work with. He gave a couple of us permission to hunt it provided we got the farmer's permission. The farmer--who no longer hunts--not only gave us permission to hunt his leased field... he drug our blind out and built levees for us at no charge. We now rent an old homestead on his property and he actually actively help us get water on the field and moved the blind to the other side this year in the low spot. :up: A few simple courtesies go a long way. :clap:

15. bigmac7825

bigmac7825 Well-Known Member

No problem! Heck I wouldn't have seen that hoss of a deer out there on Camp Robby if you hadn't kinda told me about which area. Thats what buds do. We'll get him one day. I'd rather help someone get a deer any day than get em all myself.

16. I have no clue who you are. I know nothing of you except this thread. That is all I need to know to respect you. You sound like a great guy with good ethics. I would like to meet you someday. NICE THREAD :clap: