Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best excuse you've given or heard someone else give for missing work to go deer hunting??

Myself, I heard a guy call in a couple of years ago and say he couldn't see.. The super said you can't see?? And the guy said yeah its the 1st day of deer season and I just can't see myself being at work today.. Luckily the super had a good sense of humor..

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
Here is the conversation that my boss and I had last year as best as I can remember it:

"So, you know deer season opens Oct. 1st, right?"

"I had heard about it, yeah."

"Any chance I can take the day off?"

"You want a day off work to go hunting?" (Keep in mind, my boss is from California)

"Indeed I do. And I will tell you why it is in your best interest to let me go. If I am forced to work I will most likely sit at my desk the first half of the morning being pi$$ed off that i'm not in the woods. Then i'll go to lunch. I'll most likely get over being pi$$ed while at lunch. However, when I get back I will more than likely spend the rest of the day on the phone getting everything set up for the hunt i'll be taking the following weekend since I didn't get to hunt opening day. So, you'll basically be paying me to sit at my desk and do nothing. OR... You could save a bit on payroll and have a happy IT Manager simply by being a nice guy and letting me have one day out of the year to get a weekday morning in the woods."

"I guess i'll see you on the 2nd then."

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I don't remember the best excuse, but here's a short story.

A buddy and me worked for the same company and our manager let us off of work one morning to turkey hunt, then come in late. We got wind that our District Manager was going to be in his office at our store that morning, so we stopped at a convenience store a block or two from the store to change out of our camo and into our work clothes, when who should walk in the store, but our DM. He joked and asked if we were planning on getting any work done today and that was that.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I've been trying to figure that excuse out myself. WE have non support and juvenile court at 9:30 Wednesday morning. Judge knows I'm obsessed with hunting. So I think I'm gonna play "let's make a deal" :biggrin: I'll hunt Wednesday morning but be at the office in time for court at 9:30. Hopefully if I kill one I won't have to track it to far and I'll get a shot early. That's about all I can do.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I told my old boss that I cant go pick up materials for a job because it was opening bow season day. He said "If you don't go and get the materials, we're gonna be off that job for at least a week". I said "I'll see you next week" :cool:

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I've got 10 personal days and 70 sick days built up. I can take the personal days off for any reason at any time. Here's how my conversation went.

I'm going hunting Wednesday, I'll need a sub.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I've got 10 personal days and 70 sick days built up. I can take the personal days off for any reason at any time. Here's how my conversation went.

I'm going hunting Wednesday, I'll need a sub.
I'm thinking about running for school board just to fix that problem! Just kidding. Band sounds great at the ballgames!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
My boss is also a member of this board so I'm sure y'all will excuse me for not answering. :biggrin:

BTW, I never miss work to hunt. If I call in I'm ALWAYS really sick. :wink:

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
My boss is also a member of this board so I'm sure y'all will excuse me for not answering. :biggrin:

BTW, I never miss work to hunt. If I call in I'm ALWAYS really sick. :wink:
Ahh...yeah...that's what i would say too!

Here's one for ya', one of my Supervisor's Grandmother would allway's seem to expire the first week of October......After year 5 I questioned him as to how many grandparent's he thought he had, need less to say ,he has either taken vacation or been at work every since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.