Best Coat&Bibs combo for cold weather?

Discussion in 'Reviews-Products/Gear/Guides/Outfitters' started by firehog, Jun 24, 2020.

1. firehog

firehog Well-Known Member

Years ago (probably 10 or more) I posted about hunting with rivers west clothing. I'm pretty rough on clothing through the season and I'll run a string of 10 or so days and never look up much less take care of my clothing. It takes a beating. Since that purchase for my deep cold weather hunting, I have not found a replacement. Rivers West stopped making their stuff out of the material I have my coat and bibs made out of. I called them direct and talked to the sales rep to say look this material was the best. He basically said folks said it was too hot. Sure I can see that, but to cut down on bulk for bowhunting it was perfect. You opened your zipper and walked in and then closed stuff back off. So I am still using this set and I will continue to use them in the cold rain but I would like to try some of this new material I'm reading about. Sitka from what I have gathered makes a great product from the reviews, so I am leaning toward them. I am not necessarily looking for rain protection as I am for wind, warmth, very quiet, and comfort. Durability is high on the list. I have scrapped and mix-matched all my life and could care less about what camo it is, though I am partial to mossy oak bottomland camo, this new camo pattern stuff is wild but Sitka only has its own pattern.

Any suggestions? Am I missing anything out there on the market?

jackie53 likes this.
  2. jackie53

jackie53 Well-Known Member

Your old...

3. firehog

Mr C could say exact but I think several here are pushing close 17-18 years here. Many of us were on the original first board of Kenn's then FB and Kenn went to together and this one came about. I don't know exactly know how old it is. It maybe over 20 years because I think I was around 29 or 30 and now 54.

Remington and jackie53 like this.
  4. jackie53

jackie53 Well-Known Member

Congrats..Just messing with ya..

firehog likes this.
  5. 214Duckhunter

214Duckhunter Well-Known Member

I've got the Sitka Stratus bibs. Have had them for several years and they are holding up great for me. If you hunt say in the Mid West then you might want to go to the Fanatic or Incinerator. I tend to be hot natured so the Stratus works for me in AR conditions with minimal layering. I already had a Cabela's Woolmate Jacket and vest so I didn't get the Sitka jacket. I do have the Sitka Dakota Hoody for duck hunting and all I wear all season is a heavyweight wool top and that hoody. Hope this helps.

firehog likes this.
  6. 214Duckhunter

214Duckhunter Well-Known Member

Also, if you are in public service, LEO Adventures is a great site to join. Minimal yearly fee and you get good discounts on all sorts of outdoor gear. Sitka is 40% off. Mainly a site for Fire, Police, Military and so forth but my wife is a public school teacher and they allowed her to join.

firehog likes this.
  7. sam

sam Grand Member

I've got a few articles of Sitka gear that I've picked up on clearance and e-bay over the years. It is just as advertised, it works and it's tough. The price has always made me back off, but with the way it holds up it may not be as expensive as it seems if you prorate it out over the years.

8. Mo/Ark

Mo/Ark Well-Known Member

Gray wolf woolens. American made in Wisconsin. Custom made to your measurements. Best of the best quality, and warmer than you'll ever need in Arkansas. Might need to sell a kidney first though... Custom isn't cheap.

firehog likes this.
  9. firehog

Sweet!!! Now we gettin somewhere here...

214Duckhunter likes this.
  10. firehog

I’ve looked at them I believe last year when I was looking for wool. I love wool actually

11. firehog

I’d think you might be sick if you didn’t mess with me. Lol

12. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Hook a brother up when you get that discount...

Quack addict and firehog like this.
  13. firehog

I get 50% already

14. orangefeetdown

NEA
    Uh. And I’m just finding out about this now, why?

brushcreek likes this.
  15. firehog

I really never thought I would get any until now. I was always satisfied with Rivers West but it’s way outdated compared to Sitka.

orangefeetdown likes this.
  16. orangefeetdown

NEA
    Let me know before you make an order...

17. firehog

Order already been completed sorry. Check ya text from last night

18. orangefeetdown

NEA
    I somehow missed that