Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through some of my old box calls the other day and wanted to know what everyone else used. What are you favorites, your dislikes, etc. Wouldn't be bad to see some pix too.

Manybeards...box calls are not the same thing as a bag of corn....:wink:

· Registered
4,644 Posts
I have some old Lynch boxes that I used to use, then I found out how much they were worth so I quit using them and use a Lynch fool proof sometimes but mostly a wing bone my father-in-law made me. I have a turkey call that was my great grand pa's that was made by Bob Whitener in Little Rock years and years ago. It's a scratch type turkey call. A piece of slate is held in one hand and the striker is up inside a hollow wooden tube afair that sorta looks like a bell with no flair on the edge. It sounds great but I wont use it cause it's so old and was my grand pa's...d2

· Registered
15,076 Posts
I've got two box calls and I'm not crazy about either one. One is great for windy days and cold calling. He other is a home made on by a deceased uncle who loved Turkey Hunting and I'll never part with it. My current fav is glass pot but I'm thinking of giving Mike a call before he slows down to much.

· Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi
Arrow
2,458 Posts
Used to have an Ashby "ol hen" it was awesome! Got a Martin that's high pitched sounds great. I bought an Yellow helper that's real good. Had an old Lynch fool proof that was killer till it broke. Went by the guys house who made the Ashby boxes and he sold my buddy an ol Ashby box that was typical Ashby "Awesome"!

· Banned
6,918 Posts
When I first started hunting these awesome birds in 1987 I tried lots of box calls. I never found any that really pleassd my ear as much as a good slate.
But the best one I ever found was a Lynch Raspy Hen. It is one sided and very raspy.
I dont use it anymore. Too bulky to carry.

· Member On Double Secret Probation
29,968 Posts
My cousin made me one about 3 years ago.

It sounds really good kind of a deeper raspy pitch.

It's gotten a coyote killed. But itll make em gobble every time

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.