Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my stand a little before 6 this morning. Had a steady West wind, it was a great morning to be in the woods. I had seen nothing but squirrels until a little spike strolled through around 9:30.
Around 11:00, I was really wanting to get down, but I told myself to stick it out til noon. Thankfully, I waited and at 11:15 a nice 8-point came in, circled my pile of rice brand and gave me a 25 yd broadside shot.
I hit a little high, but saw blood gushing as he ran off with my arrow stuck in him. I was surprised that I didn't get a complete pass-thru but I hit right at the top of the rib cage. There was blood sprayed 6 ft wide for the 1st 20 ft, then about 3 ft wide until I found him. He ran about 100 yds. 14" inside spread with pretty good mass. My best bow buck to date.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
top of the ribs done THAT much damage to the broadhead ?? !!!!!

nice buck man
I was asking the same thing. The arrow actually stopped just under the hide on the off side and then fell back out the entry. Clipped the top of both lungs. Must have hit an artery just under the spine, blood was pumping 3 to 4 inches up out of the entry as it ran off.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I was asking the same thing. The arrow actually stopped just under the hide on the off side and then fell back out the entry. Clipped the top of both lungs. Must have hit an artery just under the spine, blood was pumping 3 to 4 inches up out of the entry as it ran off.
There's a pretty big vessel that lies just under the spine. You may have heard of it.... The Aorta. Largest artery in the body that leaves the top of the heart and turns and travels backwards. If your high shot is further forward and in front of the heart there's kind a "dead space" where a pass through just under the spine leads to little harm. I've made that miss before.

When doing major surgeries with scalpel in hand I sometimes joke "Aorta not hit that one". If you've got a southern accent the pun is there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.