Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning. Long read. May want to skip to pics.

This deer is one that I had pics of last year but he wasn’t a regular on my property. He started showing back up about a month ago but was very sporadic. I’ve been moving cams and trying to figure him out but with no luck. Only got pics of him in one place and not often at all. This season so far has been both real good and bad at the same time. I’ve had better luck getting on mature deer than ever before. But just haven’t been able to get it done. I wounded a 8 pt on a Monday. Had a dog come out and he lost the trail after 400 yrds. We decided the buck would live. And thankfully he’s showed back up since. That Saturday I went to some public land. Shot a real nice buck in the shoulder. Never found a drop of blood. A buddy came and helped me look. He jumped him 450 ytds from the shot 4-1/2 hours later. I’m still hoping he lived. After that I hit a little tree on a mature six pt on public. Nothing but my pride harmed there. This past Wednesday I was scouting after the morning hunt and had a doe come running by. Nocked an arrow and here came a nice 8 right behind her. Had to holler to get him to stop just as I hit the release he whirled and was gone. Clean miss. There’s was a couple other shooters that I had in range but not shot. To say my confidence was getting low would be an understatement lol. So yesterday I go to the stand that I wounded the first buck from and haven’t hunt in about a month. I was hoping for this buck but not really expecting it. He showed up not long after daylight and chased does around and bucks off for nearly two hours. I was at full draw on him at 33 yrds but it wasn’t a clear enough shot. Probably could’ve made it but with this years history I decided not to push it. He ended up getting down wind and smelling me. Really figured I’d never see him again. My wife said I don’t know why you don’t just carry a gun. I just shrugged and said. I’m a bow hunter. I could’ve killed him 20 times that day with a gun. I decided to hunt the same spot but with my climber today. Moved about 40 ytds closer to where the does was eating acorns hoping he’s come check them out again. The morning started out lots slower than yesterday. Seen a couple and got busted by a doe because wind wasn’t doing what had been predicted. Had decided I should’ve tried another spot when a doe and twins came in. He was about two minutes behind them. They was feeding and didnt run so he just walked right up to them. I shot him at 18 yrds and watched he fall seconds later. Only went 37 yards. The instant I seen my arrow hit him the relief of making a perfect shot was awesome lol. So happy to kill such a Beautiful buck.
I will say that it’s a little bit of a let down when you have killed the biggest buck on the property. What do I hunt now lol.
Last years pic of him
IMG_4723.jpg

This year
IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome buck! Congrats! That’s a crazy year! I can tell you ole Kerr would have been toting the .308, you are a better man than me.
I told my friend Tyhunter after the tree buck. “If I’ve not killed one by rifle season I’m breaking out the 06”. After Wednesday’s miss he reminded me of that. I said. Yeah, I lied lol.
I was sorely tempted but just don’t want to hunt any other way.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts