Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
25,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/kliff-kingsbury-takes-verbal-shot-at-nick-saban-022314

I have tried. Man, the thought of smash mouth football being good.......of just using something different to run over teams, and WIN!! Wow. I liked it, I still like it.

But two things have begun to sour me. One was this continual finishing last, or close to it, in recruiting. I've mentioned this here before, and each time I get told "Don't count the stars, wait till they are STARS and you'll see" and I keep waiting and waiting and waiting and.......... And now the second one is this embarrassingly awful idea of Beliema's to slow down the game by fiat!!!

This state went crazy when Petrino left. They wanted him back. Course, the best he did was win 2, lose 1, win 2, lose 1, and the one he lost was always the 'big one'. Same as with HDN. Just not great coaches overall. Just flashy and run on High Octane Emotion....HDN's was positive, Petrino (and probably Nolan's) was negative, but both worked......for a while.

Enter Beliema, stage Right. Everything seemed to be headed in right direction. Never mind that every time I see him, I'm reminded of Curly Howard, and expect to hear Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk.......and that I want to jerk that ridiculous windbreaker off of him and make him dress like a coach.......or that I want to ram those headphones he wears on the sidelines back on his head properly and not canted to the front like some goober........... And yes, all of that is tacky, and I shouldn't have said it, and .........and yet.... well DANG. Just one more time that I, as a born-here Arkansan have to endure 'less than the best' for reasons that escape me, and which are told endlessly by folks way smarter'n me.

Enough of that.

If I step back from All Things Hoggish, and look at college football.......it appears to me that "Butts in The Seats" is really the name of the game. And that BITS is best done lately by the hurriest uppest of hurry up offenses. The faster they go, the more they score.

It bothers me. Because I LOVE to watch a great soccer game, and folks that hate it say that it's because there's no scoring. I LOVE to watch a great pitching contest (Chris Carpenter against Roy Halladay in the playoffs 3 years ago is still one my favorite games of all times to have watched)..........so you'd THINK that I'd be a big believer in Beliema-ism. But I do realize that BITS occurs with speed of the game. And to say "I don't like it, let's regulate it out of existence" is somehow.............um.......a bit chincy to me. It reeks of "I can't beat it so it must be unfair"..... it's sort of the way I perceive Democrats of legislating....change anything you want, often, to ensure that you get a 'fair shake'...........never do it on your own, forheavenssake.

and Hog Fans are now going to be put in the position of defending this guy and this belief........or abandoning him, at least to some degree.

And that, my fellow Hogs, ain't good no kinda way!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,897 Posts
I really don't know if we're better off or not yet but remember this....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-nQLd6z9OU[/ame]

·
Premium Member
14,897 Posts
And this.....I had to just shake my head. Ol' JLS :up:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4MRgPETMIk[/ame]

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
Coach B believes in building a team from the base up which is done by the guys up front who block and tackle. His last quarterback from wisconsin is doing better in the NFL than anyone Bobby ever coached and mentored at the position. Whether he can recruit what he needs to build is a question still. I know from watching other SEC programs that play musical coaches that they struggle. The teams that win consistently have a great defense and run the ball well and to win it all they have to have a great offensive line that can always get a push up front against the best defenses in the country. Mark Ingram won the Heisman and was a 3 star recruit. We hired the guy to build a football program that could compete with the best and we didn't have one when he got here. I say give him 4 years before evaluating what he has done. Remember Alabama got beat by ULM when Saban first hired on.

·
Administrator
40,986 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything you said except the soccer and baseball part.

Tell fans and coaches in Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, etc. that "stars dont matter" and theyll probably laugh in your face. The only people that try to sell that are fans and coaches from schools like Arkansas that consistently recruit somewhere in the upper twenties or thirties. Go back 5 or 10 or 15 years and see how many schools whose classes were ranked that low won the NC, then come back and tell me that stars dont matter. I know you can give examples of unrated players that went on to have stellar careers in the NFL and 5 stars that never made in through college but that aint what we're talking about here.

Im trying my best to support Bielema but Im not excited at all about this offense he wants to run and I can only speak for myself but Im not gonna spend the money or the time to drive to Fayetteville and watch it. Ill stay home and watch in on my HD flat screen. Im sure some will say Im not a real fan but so be it. Heck, maybe Im not. All I know is that Ive watched and rooted for em for over 40 years and Ill continue to do so even though I dont like a whole lot of things theyre doing or trying to do right now like anthracite uniforms or the black on the back of the helmets :yuck:.

:bs: on needing to do it to get recruits. Who have they signed that committed to Arkansas because they have anthracite uniforms? Does Alabama, Notre Dame, etc. need gimmicky uniforms that arent the school colors to recruit players?

Sorry for the rant but he needs to sthu and win some football games instead of worrying about changing rules because he cant coach, recruit, or whatever to beat em any other way.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I just have to shake my head sometimes. No one seemed to care that Bobby never ran the HUNH. All everyone cared about was that we needed to pass pass and pass some more. Then gus comes along with AU and squeaks into the NC game by running it but it's okay as long as you run with a gimmick. Our fan base is just ridiculous. :hopeless:

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I just have to shake my head sometimes. No one seemed to care that Bobby never ran the HUNH. All everyone cared about was that we needed to pass pass and pass some more. Then gus comes along with AU and squeaks into the NC game by running it but it's okay as long as you run with a gimmick. Our fan base is just ridiculous. :hopeless:
Bobby ran a prostyle pass first power spread.

Gus runs a HUNH power run first spread.

BB hits the buffet spread and wants to run old school run sets with play action off that.....

Spread is an equalizer because it creates space without brawn.

·
Administrator
40,986 Posts
Bobby ran a prostyle pass first power spread.

Gus runs a HUNH power run first spread.

BB hits the buffet spread and wants to run old school run sets with play action off that.....

Spread is an equalizer because it creates space without brawn.
Exactly. Im not necessarily a fan on the HUNH but I do like the spread. It just makes a hellulva lot more sense to me to spread the field and try to run through everybody than it does to line up those monster linemen shoulder to shoulder then move em apart enough to run through em.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I like Coach B from a moral stand point and the fact that I truly believe that he cares about his players above and beyond football.

Rather that will produce a winning SEC football team or not, I am not sure.

He is on his own, I think that his comments border rediculous. I would guess the make a big pile in the middle of the field is more dangerous from the common injury stand point.

If he wins and wins big nobody wiill care what his opinion is.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I like Coach B from a moral stand point and the fact that I truly believe that he cares about his players above and beyond football.

Rather that will produce a winning SEC football team or not, I am not sure.

He is on his own, I think that his comments border rediculous. I would guess the make a big pile in the middle of the field is more dangerous from the common injury stand point.

If he wins and wins big nobody wiill care what his opinion is.
He's clearly gonna recruit a big 10 type team of big plugger white boys that plays Big 10 type football.

SEC is all about explosive football.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Exactly. Im not necessarily a fan on the HUNH but I do like the spread. It just makes a hellulva lot more sense to me to spread the field and try to run through everybody than it does to line up those monster linemen shoulder to shoulder then move em apart enough to run through em.
Right.

If you've got superior athletes like Bama and LSU it makes sense to play small ball...... you want the other team to stack the box so you can smash team with the run and take low risk shots downfield.

Team like Arkansas needs to create mismatches and win with speed....... OP can run BP down all he wants but he put a top 10 team on the field at Ark in just 3 years playing high IQ attack football.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts