Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting my first boat and I would primarily be using it to duck hunt with the occasional fishing trip during the summer. I've never owned a duck boat and don't know where to start. One thing to keep in mind is I have a pretty tight budget so I can't go out and buy a sweet mud boat with a surface drive motor. I'd love to get away with spending under $2000 if possible. I've seen a few boats for sale on craigslist for that price but I'm not sure if they'd be a good duck boat.

What's the bare minimum length and motor size you would recommend? I would mostly be carrying 1-3 hunters and all the gear necessary to duck hunt. What are the other boat characteristics I need to pay attention to? Is there anything I should avoid?

· Registered
416 Posts
You'll be able to find older 1542's and 25hp motors in your price range you just have to have the cash in hand and be ready to travel when the deal pops up and they do pop up. Usually those good deals can be cleaned up and repainted then sold with some profit to enable you to purchase nicer equipment.

· Registered
326 Posts
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting my first boat and I would primarily be using it to duck hunt with the occasional fishing trip during the summer. I've never owned a duck boat and don't know where to start. One thing to keep in mind is I have a pretty tight budget so I can't go out and buy a sweet mud boat with a surface drive motor. I'd love to get away with spending under $2000 if possible. I've seen a few boats for sale on craigslist for that price but I'm not sure if they'd be a good duck boat.

What's the bare minimum length and motor size you would recommend? I would mostly be carrying 1-3 hunters and all the gear necessary to duck hunt. What are the other boat characteristics I need to pay attention to? Is there anything I should avoid?
you can always look on eldoark in the classifides!! theres usually a pretty good deal on there!! and 1542-1548 is just about a perfect duck boat!! it dosent have to have a gun box but some kinda box for life jackets and other stuff that need to b kept dry would b nice!! the lighter the boat is the faster itll go in most cases!!!

· Registered
2,113 Posts
Save your Change and buy the one you could stay happy with personally I think I'd even look anything wielded ,1548 atleast ,but a 1448 is a good boat I got a 1448 flat bottom does me justice . I wouldn't get in these bandwagons that say if you aren't running this and that your not hardcore . Have you ever drove a boat in the timber ? If you have you need to decide if you want it to slide or dip and turn me I like it to have a lil slide to it with a dip . 2,000 is a fair price most "DuckBoats " run at least 4,500 used . I'd save my change so I'd be happy with what I had .

· Registered
708 Posts
I have a 15x42 Alumacraft with a 25 Merc. Its an older boat and older motor. It gets me to the hole just like a new War Eagle with a new motor with mods and a natural gear paint job lol. The absolute best part about it is, it dont have the new boat payment.

· Registered
8,720 Posts
Make sure its all welded, I would try to find something with some storage in it whether it be a gun box or a live well with a plug in it. You will accumulate a lot of junk during duck season and some sort storage is nice. I would also try to find something that is already rigged, i.e seats, night time running lights, tie offs, etc...That stuff will add up quick when you go to buying and rigging it up. I would try to find something in the 1542-1548 range with a 25HP on the back. As for the motor, take someone that knows his/her **** and check compression, lower unit, cylinder walls, carbs, etc....With it being your first boat, try to find something with e-start with a backup pull start....

Here is one ready to go with a great looking motor:
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2736456009.html

Just keep checking craigslist

· Registered
54 Posts
I know where there is a 1542 War Eagle for sale, I believe its a late 90s model. Has gun box, floor, skin out, fc trollin motor bracket. Boat and trailer only. Its belongs to an older gentleman I am froends with and he is very picky ab his stuff its in great condition and trust me it has been babied! PM me if your interested in it.

· Registered
2,273 Posts
I agree wait till feb and then look you will find some deals! I don't agree with the all welded. If I was buying a new used duck boat I would go all welded but I personally run a 1970ish model Lowe boat rivited with a 2001 25 merc and it does not leak and will do about 32 by myself. That's with about 100 pound of plywood carpeted floor in it. It is open belly and I love it! It cost about 2000 and came with a tank of a trailer. It is a step up from the skinny 14 with a 9.9 I started with!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.