Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted pics of this buck a while back that I got on a my trail cam in October. I finally saw him 2 weeks ago just at dark. I noticed he was limping then. I hunted for him from the same blind 6-7 times over the last 2 weeks and never saw him. Yesterday morning at about 7:30 he stepped out at about 230 yards. His limp was more pronounced and he had lost quite a bit of weight. He finally turned broadsided at 211 yards (rangefinders are great) and my 270 dropped him in his tracks.(We can still gun hunt down here). The left front leg was broken and had a large infected cut. I doubt he would have survived much longer.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Nice buck! He looks in decent condition for January after a long rut. Had he been hit by a car to break his front leg? I had an old doe on my place for 3 years that had a floppy front leg and she raised a fawn or 2 each year. :)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Good job Doc...:up: Get-R-Done.....

Looks like a mature buck. Maybe four plus???

Have you aged him yet?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the cuts on the leg it looked like he got caught in a fence and broke the bones on the lower leg. There were bone fragments and pus coming from the wound. When I skinned him there was a lymph gland in the shoulder swollen to the size of a softball. We scored him at 154 1/2. By tooth wear he was only 4 1/2 years old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts