BEEF TONGUE

Discussion in 'Cooking, Grilling, BBQ, and Recipes' started by WillyB71, Jul 7, 2020.

1. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Split a side of beef with my kids. I wound up with a bunch of liver (trot line bait), tail, & the tongue because no one else wanted it.

Never had beef tongue before. Best way to cook it?

sparkie likes this.
  2. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    Boil it, skin it, slice, fry then cook down in gravy.

N8HARNER, WillyB71 and sparkie like this.

3. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

Pearcy
    I have never been that hungry!

cmf88, HuntHigh, NEA x SEA and 3 others like this.
  4. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    I've et some lingua tacos. They were pretty good. Dont know how they were cooked down though.

5. Mr. Rusty

Mr. Rusty Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A Mexican bud of mine boiled it in something. It tasted like roast beef to me. It was a bit chewy though. I doubt I ever eat it again but I won’t turn it down either.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    N8HARNER likes this.
  6. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Chewy but tasty. I've only had it a couple times that I know of. But with all the street tacos and food truck tacos I've eaten, I suspect I've had it a few more times than I realize.

faithfularcher and N8HARNER like this.
  7. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    Same deal everyone gets when negotiating with your kids. Been that way since they were 2, I'd bet. I could buy a new car, except for my grown kids. Now I can buy gas. Sometimes.

Here's my recipe:

Take an old pine 1X10 or 1X12. Lots of knots. Build a ground fire. When it dies down, add charcoal. Take the tongue and put it on the board. Season it, and put lots of mustard, ketchup, and mayo on it. Slather it on there. Keep adding charcoal to ensure the fire doesn't die all the way.

Put the board onto the fire, just drop it down on the coals. Let it cook till the tongue is pretty charred. Take it off, and let the board cool just a bit. Remove the tongue.

Take a hammer and knock out one of the charred pine knots. Throw away the tongue, and eat the burnt knot.

buck720 and Polywog like this.
  8. ray porter

ray porter Well-Known Member

east ar
    it has been awhile since i had it but i seem to remember it tasted like heart. sort of chewy but good.

9. kerrtw

kerrtw Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner

I figure a pressure cooker would be a good way to go.

WillyB71, Hivernan and Punkinseed like this.
  10. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

Making me sick at my stomach! They served us beef tongue and really greasy eggs for breakfast in Minsk, Belarus! I was certain I was looking at the bumps on the tongue. I tried but I just couldn’t do it.

Polywog and Mr. Rusty like this.
  11. Mr. Rusty

Mr. Rusty Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hehehe

12. N8HARNER

N8HARNER Well-Known Member

You are hopeless. Tongue is good.

Of course I have never tried a pine knot. Are you saying they are better?

13. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I have had tongue. My dad cooked it. I think he cooked it in a pressure cooker in seasoned water. I remember it being good.

WillyB71 likes this.
  14. buck720

buck720 Well-Known Member

This and squirrel brains would be a last resort of meat for me.

Buckrub likes this.
  15. TJKRide

TJKRide Well-Known Member

Ogden
    We take the heart and tongue and make spaghetti sauce with nice small chunks of the 2.

16. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    It's a joke, man. I guess cantankerous people make jokes too. I have no idea what tongue tastes like. Sorry I was not being literal. I'm off the Politics forum, ok? But cooking and food is about opinion, I think. And I get to have one.

Remington and N8HARNER like this.
  17. N8HARNER

N8HARNER Well-Known Member

I knew it was a joke. And it’s fine if you’re off the politics forum. You take me too seriously.

Mr. Rusty, Onetrakd and Remington like this.
  18. Boil it, peel it and flour/salt/pepper it cut into chunks about the size of chicken gizzards and deep fry.. Eats about like chicken gizzards as well..

19. Scatterlandsfarms

Scatterlandsfarms Well-Known Member

ne ar
    Rekon if I was starving I would eat it but I'm way to fat as of now so you can have it all to yourself

Onetrakd likes this.
  20. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    What are you gonna do with the tail?

I always tell the processor to do what he wishes with all the entrails and tongue but never had one offer to give me the tail.