Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a beaver trap, we have a few destroying our hunting land:censored: . I dont have the first clue :confused: what kind of trap to get, where to set it or how to bait it(if possible or legal). Could someone please give me a few tips on how to get rid of this beaver.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You need to get you some 330 connibears. Snares and footholds are good also I'll link you to a page with lots of information to help you. I'll send you a pm with the link.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I usually set my 330's in runs or in beaver hut entrance holes. I usually set them just under the water level and lay a log or something to make the beaver dive under it and into the trap. I've also caught lots of beaver on snares and footholds on crossovers and trails leading back to the creek from where they've been cutting on trees. Be careful setting the 330's, if they getcha it WILL HURT. I would avoid setting 330's on wholes busted in dams. They will just push mud and leaves and sticks into the trap and just about fix the dam and your trap will be packed in all the mud and leaves and sometimes not fired. Good luck

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Snares are the cheapest and safest. If your not a trapper may be better to pay a good one a bounty.:biggrin:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bojack gave ya some good advice. Get yourself some 330's and set them in the runs and crossovers. Last resort bust that dam then sit there right before dark with some buckshot or .22

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Bojack gave ya some good advice. Get yourself some 330's and set them in the runs and crossovers. Last resort bust that dam then sit there right before dark with some buckshot or .22
Lots more fun...and use something bigger...like a 7mm:thumb:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BoJack thanks for the link it has some good info, I think I am going try and catch one, gotta learn somehow.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
I have some 330s but I like #3 coilsprings better. I never trap the denhole I've heard it makes the older ones trap shy. I set the trps in water about 4 inches deep off to the side of the trail where they enter and leave the water.
I also trap the scent mounds. You will find piles of leaves and mud at the edges of their local territory. I put a few drops of beaver lure on the mounds and they will definitely come smell it. Sometimes you miss them though. If it is a small stream or lake I wire the trap to a big log that they can drag or swim with. In a river I use a heavy wire and tie them off solid. You can wire a weight to the trap. to drown them. When you catch one by a front foot that isn't drowned shoot them quick or they will get away. They will chew their foot off when they see you especially the old ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
1.75 victors set in trails next to the water. Use metal wire staked to bank and wired to a large rock placed in 12" of water. I use a swivel made to allow the beaver to go back to the water but not to come back to the bank. I have made a few of these out of flat L brackets by drilling two hole in opposing sides.

I use these set because I didn't want to buy the 330.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bowman - trapping is a learned process. If you have never done any at all ever, at the very least you owe it to yourself to invest in a book or two. Or maybe better yet elicit the help of a friend who has some experience.

In case you didn't know, the 330's that are being talked about here are kill traps. When set properly, the critter that springs one is dispatched by the trap. But when a novice gets hold of one of these, especially one who hasn't invested in a setting tool of some sort, there exists the very real threat of bodily injury as has been pointed out. The leg hold traps and snares can be effective too and like Buck-Ridge was saying, can be set to drown your catch. But knowing exactly where and how to set these is vital to success.

I don't mean to discourage you in any way. You can get out there all by yourself and catch beavers. But getting out there with someone who has experience will put you way ahead on the learning curve.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
They are alot of fun to shoot. Last year I shot probably 30 and this year only about 15. I have a depreditation permit to shoot them at night but you can catch them right at dark.
I will bust some of their dam around midday and wait just at dark. early morning you sometimes can catch them.
They have bad eyesight and you can move real slow and get away with lots.

You need a REAL good shooting .22 and have some fun. Trapping would be faster but I am not out there enough to check the traps so I shoot them.

I really hate beavers!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am in the process of buying a beaver trap, we have a few destroying our hunting land:censored: . I dont have the first clue :confused: what kind of trap to get, where to set it or how to bait it(if possible or legal). Could someone please give me a few tips on how to get rid of this beaver.

sounds like me and you need to set on the ditch bank and give em some lead poisoning:thumb:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I dont really have a real good shooting .22 but I have a Great Shooting .17HMR will this work and should I go with the ballistic(sp) tips or the hollow points.

·
Grand Member
13,091 Posts
Ok I dont really have a real good shooting .22 but I have a Great Shooting .17HMR will this work and should I go with the ballistic(sp) tips or the hollow points.
Beavers have thick hide, I'd think the heavier solids would do a lot better than hollow points in a .17 or .22. I've killed several with a .22 lr, but a .22 mag does a lot better job. If you can get close enough a shotgun with some high brass 6's or 4's do great.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
If you've never done any trapping then I'd suggest just shooting the beavers. Besides, shooting them can be fun and much cheaper than buying traps.
If beaver trapping still interests you then I'd read all the info I could about it over the next few months and maybe try to pick up a few traps here and there along the way. For trapping beavers, I suggest using the 330 body gripper like most everyone else has suggested. Just make sure and buy a good setter and that will make using the 330's much easier and reduce the chance of one getting hold of you.
Good luck. Beavers are a heck of a pest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bowman-Everyone gave you good advice, but remember, they are like mice-if you don't keep on top of them, they always build up to problems. If you don't want the chore of keeping them out, contact a local trapper and see if he will handle it for you-he might go for it along with permission to trap other critters.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Beavers are easy to get in a trap but hard to hold. They have community behaviors that protect the colony. You can break their dam and shoot them but the first one that shows up is a scout. If you shoot the first one and he doesn't make it back to the lodge you will be waiting a long time for another shot. One will come out and investigate before the colony comes out to repair the dam. Let the first one come and go with out seeing you and you might get a shot at several. I have tried this several times and it can be a long wait and when you get shots it will be quick . I would use a shotgun with large shot. I did one time catch a large female that didn't drown and was able to shoot 3 others around her. I shot them with a .22 and am not sure I killed any of them. Beavers are big tough animals that can weigh over 60 pounds. Their skin is tough and thick as anyone who has skinned one can tell you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts