Bear Season 2020

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by fat hog, Apr 16, 2020.

1. fat hog

fat hog Well-Known Member

Just curious on what you guys think about how the frost affected the acorn crop for this fall.

I was out of town for work so I wasn’t around to see. I was just wondering how much is a state got a heavy frost?

How do you think it will affect your area?

I personally hope it was enough to keep the heavy crop from falling so early. Honestly I’ve never paid attention to it in the past until the 2019 bear season which was my first year to hunt. It was just like everyone said. I had bears up until the point the acorns started dropping. The activity slowed down that last week prior to the opener. Didn’t get another bear picture after the opener until that Tuesday and one other that Thursday. Before that I had 6 to7 beers a day coming in daily. Not every bear came every day but there was probably 10 to 12 coming into the bait on a real regular basis.

2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Another thing that can adversely affect acorn crops is heavy rain, and extended periods of rain, during pollen season. I had some pollen on my truck a few times, but I never saw any of those big yellow clouds of wind blown pollen like I do in some years.

fat hog and brushcreek like this.

3. fat hog

I didn’t think about that but now that you say it I don’t remember seeing any yellow fog either

4. Currdog

Currdog Well-Known Member

Central
    I haven’t seen it either but as crazy as this year has been so far not sure what to expect come sept!

5. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I'm all in this year - will run barrels hard, I want a big bear this season if I can find one !

jackie53 likes this.
  6. jackie53

jackie53 Well-Known Member

We Hear in the Southern Ozarks haven't had any freezing weather..We have had cold..But not freezing..
    We have had a Ton of acorns Two years in a Row..Never seen that before..Any indication of Acorns..The last 2 Years 2018,2019 the gnats and skitters have been Terrible allready..If no wind they will carry ya off..Have never seen three years Heavy mast crop....

7. fat hog

Hey Curdog... your son gonna let you shoot this year? Lol

8. Currdog

Central
    Fat hog we will see lol hopefully I get to video him this year but never know I may have to slip a shot in.

fat hog likes this.
  9. fat hog

Curdog, I’ve met your son a couple times now around EE. He looks like a stone cold killer, but very respectable!

10. Currdog

Central
    Oh yea? He don’t play when killin time is around but he better b respectable. If not someone has crossed him in bad way. Thanks he a pretty good kid but you better shoot fast lol

fat hog likes this.
  11. fat hog

Opener is on the 26th. I hope the few extra days earlier helps out getting in front of the acorns dropping.

12. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

lot of red oak acorn on the trees around my place. Havent looked at a white oak.

fat hog likes this.