Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend with some land in Stone County near Mountain View has a bear that's been giving him some trouble. I offered to take care of his problem as soon as modern gun season opens. The bear appears to be a pretty large male, at least 350 pounds, perhaps more.

If nobody gets to him first, I was thinking of using my .30-06 with 180 grain Remington Express Core Lokts, but he suggests I go with my .243 instead. Using 100 grain bullets that rifle has sent many a deer to my freezer. It's extremely accurate and I'm quite comfortable shooting it. Still, I believe every animal I shoot deserves a clean, humane kill, and despite what many people say, a .243 just seems a tad small for bears--especially big ones. So I'm thinking the .30-06 is still my best bet. I am quite comfortable of my abilities with that rifle too. Am I correct? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
You should use the rifle that you choose. Don't let someone else tell you that you should use something other than what you think you should use. I can't see what his reasoning would be. :head:

If I wanted to go bear hunting and a 243 was all I had, I would be using a 243 for bear. If I had a 30/06 and a 243, I would be bear hunting with a 30/06.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There's no doubt that the .243 will kill a bear but I would use the 30-06. With absolute perfect shot placement there would probably be no difference in how far the bear would run but you know that things don't always go as planned. If you had to trail the bear after the shot I bet that the difference between a ".243 blood trail" and a "30-06 blood trail" would be significant. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Well, VA, sounds like you got that all cleared up, now you gotta chore to do! :thumb:

One last thing--

Daddy told me when I was little that a .30-06 could kill anything in North America.

He never told me that about the .243! :biggrin:

--and ain't nothin wrong with the .243...

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
If you had to trail the bear after the shot I bet that the difference between a ".243 blood trail" and a "30-06 blood trail" would be significant. Just my opinion.
If I HAD to trail a wounded bear, of the two choices above, I'd much rather have a 180 grain 30 caliber bullet in my rifle over a 100 grain 24 caliber bullet.

·
Registered
626 Posts
A .243 will work fine. Both the bears I've killed were with a .243. One didn't go more than 10 yards & the other only ran about 30 yards, no tracking necessary. I used the Winchester Supreme ballistic silvertips, 95 grain. These weren't the biggest of bears either, 1 was 200 lbs. & the other was only about 150 lbs. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to shoot one bigger with it though. Good luck!!!! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.