bear meat

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by jblack, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jblack

jblack Well-Known Member

I have a question for the bear hunters. I was reading on how to cook black bear meat. It talked about how nasty it was and not good to eat. Because of the parasites. What are gyour thoughts, comments, how do you cook your bear meat? I have never had any.

John

2. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Eudora,MS
    I've never had any that was worth eating??

3. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

I have eaten it fried and it wasn't too bad, tasted a lot like pork but was even greasier. I was thinking that it would be really good if it was slow-cooked on an open grill and where the grease could run out.

4. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye

I like it best smoked.

5. Delbert

Delbert Well-Known Member

I have eaten a lot of bear meat. It is not greasy, it is very lean, the bear like deer does not marble (Like a good Beef) will.

If it was greasy then it was not properly cleaned.

Always cook it to 165F to kill and parasites. bear can carry trichinosis.

Trichinosis is a disease caused by eating undercooked meat containing cysts of Trichinella spiralis. Trichinella spiralis can be found in pork, bear, walrus, fox, rat, horse, and lion meat.

Wild animals, especially carnivores (meat eaters) or omnivores (animals that eat both meat and plants), should be considered a possible source of roundworm disease. Domestic meat animals raised specifically for eating under USDA guidelines and inspection can be considered safe.

Trichinosis is a common infection worldwide, but is seldom seen in the United States because of strict rules regarding the feeding of domestic animals and meat-processing inspections.

When a person eats meat from an infected animal, Trichinella cysts break open in the intestines and grow into adult roundworms.

The roundworms produce other worms that move through the gut wall and into the bloodstream. These organisms tend to invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphragm (the breathing muscle under the lungs). They can also affect the lungs and brain.

There are approximately 40 cases of trichinosis each year in the U.S.

Ok now you know the possibilities, so always use a good and accurate temp probe, that has been checked for accuracy.

Always remove all the fat from the meat, the fat can be rendered just like pork fat it makes great lard, great boot water proofing. etc. Plus after rendering the cooked membrane is just like fresh hot pork rinds or cracklins.

Now if you smoke the bear roast, you want to mostly cook it first them lightly very lightly smoke it, it will take smoke very faster and heavy and be over smoked (I love heavy smoked beef and pork) but bear can easily be over smoked.

6. ursus

ursus Well-Known Member

If a bear doesn't taste good it was either not cleaned quick enough or too much fat was left on it. I've got elk, antelope, bear, wild turkey, and deer in my freezer right now and the bear is the best of them all.

7. huskyman

huskyman Well-Known Member

My wife cooks bear roast in a crock-pot for half a day, let's it cool, and puts it in the fridge overnight. By morning, fat can be skimmed off, and she cooks it a couple more hours with carrots and taters! Mighty tasty! My kids beg for it over venison!

8. Davy Crockett preferred bear meat over venison and would grab old Betsy whenever he ran low.