Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two decent sized bears were killed on the roads around here recently I've given some thought into trying to do a little bear hunting this fall. I've seen bear sign in the area I hunt, but haven't seen one yet. I saw on the AGFC sight that I can bait here in zone 2. Does anyone here bear hunt? Any advice?

I would most likely be using my 12gu pump. I've got a marlin 30-30, but all my other deer guns are single shots and I figure I would like to have more than one shot on something that can bite back.

·
3,605 Posts
After two decent sized bears were killed on the roads around here recently I've given some thought into trying to do a little bear hunting this fall. I've seen bear sign in the area I hunt, but haven't seen one yet. I saw on the AGFC sight that I can bait here in zone 2. Does anyone here bear hunt? Any advice?

I would most likely be using my 12gu pump. I've got a marlin 30-30, but all my other deer guns are single shots and I figure I would like to have more than one shot on something that can bite back.
You can bait on private land starting September 1rst.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
John your best chance will be early, like the start of bow season. They will have had no pressure and you can bait them for 30 days prior to the first day of bow season. I know bows are single shot but I have never heard of one being shot and charging up the tree. If it does please video tape it for us, it would be a great tape to watch over and over. You could even tie a rope into a nearby tree and when it starts up your tree swing to the next one. Just trying to be helpful buddy. :razz:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I take several tuna fish cans and punch some holes in the top and nail them about 7 or 8 feet up in the trees surrounding the bait station. This usually gets a pretty good scent in the air. In my barrel I've used anything from dog food, to corn, to horse feed as a base. Krispy Kreme will give you their throw aways at night. They look at you wierd, but I'm used to that. Bears LOVE some Krispy Kreme. But don't worry, they like Shipley's just the same if there's not a KK near you. Go by any restaurant and ask them if you can dip a 5 gallon bucket into their grease trap. Again, you will get strange looks. Pour the grease all around your barrel. the bears will step in it and leave an awesome scent trail for other bears to follow. :thumb:

Oh yeah, make sure the barrel is secured to a tree. By secured I mean something bigger than 1/4 inch cable. Mama bear snapped mine and carried the barrel away with her.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I used pastries and have a couple of buddies who have as well. A couple of others just used corn. One buddy got barrels of day old donuts and a friend of his and himself killed two the first two days of season two years ago that both went near 300. The only one I have killed was in an oak tree eating acorns when I shot it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I am a Bear Idiot.....:smack:..I have Bears all around me and they tare down deer, bird feeders quite often and raid the dog food cans.........:whistle:..I have a question why put the bait in barrels, and do you stand them up or lay them on there side??????

I see Bears about every 3-4 weeks, and a sow killed my Lab last year and gutted my neighbors hound but he did live.......:eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well i cant say this is the only reason for it but it does help size the bears.When a bear comes in it is very hard to judge them by looks without having something to use as a guide.I am from michigan and done bear hunting up there and we use a 55 gallon drum with a hole cut in the middle of it.We use pasteries and jellies anything sweet really.We also use dog food and confectionate sugar.One guy up there swore by using nothing but 3 3musketers bars and he always got one.The reason you put the hole in it too keep out the coons and other animals but make sure a bear can get his paws inside it.You put a log proped up into the hole so they(small animals) cant get in and the bears just move it out the way.oh yeah chain the barrel to a tree if you like to keep it.lol Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I know bows are single shot but I have never heard of one being shot and charging up the tree. If it does please video tape it for us, it would be a great tape to watch over and over. You could even tie a rope into a nearby tree and when it starts up your tree swing to the next one. Just trying to be helpful buddy. :razz:
I actually have a Primos video, where they shoot a bear, and it climbs the tree next to them. It's actually quite funny. The bear hangs there for a few seconds then falls out of the tree.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John your best chance will be early, like the start of bow season. They will have had no pressure and you can bait them for 30 days prior to the first day of bow season. I know bows are single shot but I have never heard of one being shot and charging up the tree. If it does please video tape it for us, it would be a great tape to watch over and over. You could even tie a rope into a nearby tree and when it starts up your tree swing to the next one. Just trying to be helpful buddy. :razz:

Or I could just get you to come up to Thornberg and whip one with a switch for me.:up:

·
3,605 Posts
I actually have a Primos video, where they shoot a bear, and it climbs the tree next to them. It's actually quite funny. The bear hangs there for a few seconds then falls out of the tree.
I stuck a bear a few years ago and there were five bears under me when I took the shot. He roared and ran off and the other 4 scattered. I was watching the one that I had shot, when I looked 4 feet to my left and saw one of the smaller bears (100 lbs or so) staring at me from the next tree at eye level. I could have poked him with an arrow from my stand. He just sat there and stared at me until I started to climb down and then he climbed down and ran off.

Good times!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Does anyone know how far Northeast the bears have taken over as their range? I hunt in NE Randolph county. Are there any bear sightings in Randolph county? I haven't seen any sign of bears, yet. I have thought about putting out a couple of sardine cans in trees to see if I could attract any bears. I have heard rumors of bears, but none that I would say are from good sources.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I just live a few miles away in Norfork and we have several Bears around the house they are becoming a problem fast.......:eek:...we have had dogs killed including my lab...and you cant have bird feeders or dog food out side and they tend to get deer feeders some also......:smack:

I will Bear hunt this year............:whistle:

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just live a few miles away in Norfork and we have several Bears around the house they are becoming a problem fast.......:eek:...we have had dogs killed including my lab...and you cant have bird feeders or dog food out side and they tend to get deer feeders some also......:smack:

I will Bear hunt this year............:whistle:
If you get your limit and still have a problem I would be glad to help you out.:up:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.