Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always heard that once you kill a bear you would never what to do it again. If that is the case I can't see what would interest people in the first place. I don't see the fair chase in feeding them day old doughnuts for a couple weeks or a month then climbing a tree one day and shooting one, only to get the hide made into a rug and have to struggle to give the meat away. Another thing i have heard but never actually heard is that when a bear is shot with a bow sometimes he lets out a death moan, sounding somewhat human. I guess It's just not for me.

· Super Moderator
7,071 Posts
That is why this is a great place to live. I am glad to know I have one less to compete with. It is not as easy as you think. First you have to have a bear. Second It must come to the bait with you in stand. Third you have to be able to place a good shot. Forth you have to recover the bear.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
That is why this is a great place to live. I am glad to know I have one less to compete with. It is not as easy as you think. First you have to have a bear. Second It must come to the bait with you in stand. Third you have to be able to place a good shot. Forth you have to recover the bear.
And don't forget to eat the popcorn....:popcorn:

· Registered
227 Posts
Ok, First of all it's a little more work than you think to round up those donuts, set up a bait stand. Once you get bears hitting a bait site, they seldom venture far from it. Now you you have to contend with the bears "woofing" at you and the sounds of brush popping around yoou when you go in at 4:30 in the morning to fill the barrell. When bow season starts you have until the the acorns fall to kill a bear, if they fall early, you just wasted alot of time, bears prefer acorns to donuts, bears don't rut during the fall like deer so they don't just come running thru the old foodplot with love on their mind begging to be shot. I shot a bear once that got between my ladder stand and the tree as it thrashed around and I hugged the tree I had my doubts if this was right sport for me. But all in all I guess it is much more sporting to kill deer over a foodplot or a pile of corn, that to bait something that has the ability to bite back.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
OK I have never shot a bear. Mainly because I have never hunted anywhere that bears live, but I think it would be awesome to kill a bear. Then once I killed one I would want a bigger one just like anything else I hunt.:biggrin:

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, First of all it's a little more work than you think to round up those donuts, set up a bait stand. Once you get bears hitting a bait site, they seldom venture far from it. Now you you have to contend with the bears "woofing" at you and the sounds of brush popping around yoou when you go in at 4:30 in the morning to fill the barrell. When bow season starts you have until the the acorns fall to kill a bear, if they fall early, you just wasted alot of time, bears prefer acorns to donuts, bears don't rut during the fall like deer so they don't just come running thru the old foodplot with love on their mind begging to be shot. I shot a bear once that got between my ladder stand and the tree as it thrashed around and I hugged the tree I had my doubts if this was right sport for me. But all in all I guess it is much more sporting to kill deer over a foodplot or a pile of corn, that to bait something that has the ability to bite back.
I wouldn't know I don't hunt any baited animal, or build food plots, or hunt mineral sites. I like the fair chase aspect of hunting more than almost anything else. I do have a question though, do you eat the bear?

· Registered
227 Posts
Let me clear somthing up, I'm a redneck I'll eat anything with bar-b-q sauce on it. I come from a long line bear eaters, if you have had coon it's alot alike maybe even greaser. I can respect far chase, in the twenty years I have hunted Arkansas, I have never seen a bear in the woods, while I was armed during a season. There really is not another legal means in which to hunt one, than over bait. Every year there are a few killed during rifle season, that people stumble across. I guess luck = fairchase ?

3,605 Posts
x2

If it is so easy...............Why do we only kill 300-400 bears per year statewide?

I'm with you Y Hunt.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hunting a bear to eat is different. If you are going to eat it I definitely understand. I also know there are no other means to hunting a bear besides baiting. I actually saw three bears (no pun intended) while bowhunting whitetail two years ago it was a mom and two cubs. I had a smile on my face the entire time. funny critters.

· Registered
227 Posts
Bears are fun to watch, their fun to shoot too. We had one get in our cabin a few years ago, he ate half a tub of cooking lard, smeared the rest on a mirror and all around the cabin. I guess that really wore him out so he decided to drag one of the mattress out of the cabin and up in a half fallen tree about 12 feet off the ground, when we showed during a 4th of July getaway, he just sat there in that mattress looking at us like we owed money or something.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.