Arkansas Hunting banner
421 - 440 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The bacon flavor is more expensive than the gold rush is for comparable sizes. Not much more. But is a little bit.
I’d like to try a few of those scents though.
It’s about the same if you buy an 8oz bottle, but the gallons are much cheaper. They offer a 5gal also, but it’s not substantially cheaper by the ounce than the 1gal. Seems like a gallon would last years and it’s only $160 instead of about $500 for a gallon of gold rush.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
It’s about the same if you buy an 8oz bottle, but the gallons are much cheaper. They offer a 5gal also, but it’s not substantially cheaper by the ounce than the 1gal. Seems like a gallon would last years and it’s only $160 instead of about $500 for a gallon of gold rush.
I bet the guy at northwoods would give you a volume discount if you called and asked for a five gallon jug.
A five gallon jug of GoldRush would be enough to mix 3200 gallons of oil. It would take a good while to use that.
At what rate does the other stuff mix? 1:640 is a pretty good rate.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I bet the guy at northwoods would give you a volume discount if you called and asked for a five gallon jug.
A five gallon jug of GoldRush would be enough to mix 3200 gallons of oil. It would take a good while to use that.
At what rate does the other stuff mix? 1:640 is a pretty good rate.
Pretty sure it’s the same oil based flavoring with a similar mix ration. I doubt the guy is going to sell his product for a discount. It seems like a standard 300% mark up for relabeling it as a bear hunting product. He’s basically middle manning it. The one gallon jug is basically the same price as a 5 gallon, so I’m think one gallon would be plenty. Next season I plan to have at least three 55gal barrels of flavored grease before season starts. You seem to enjoy math, so the way I have it figured is 55gal of oil is almost 1.7M calories. That’s enough to feed a huge bear 20,000cal/day for almost 90 days straight. If I put over 2M calories per bait site at the beginning of the season, it should last me all season without ever having to rebait, and I can do it for a total cost of around $220. I can refill 3 55gal barrels with $20 worth of bread, so 9 barrels for $60. Then grease is free, and the one gallon jug will cost $160. Should be able to set up in August and it last until Rifle season at least.
Aqua Sleeve Font Electric blue Fashion accessory

Purple Drink Asphalt Font Automotive tire

Bag Luggage and bags Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Font

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Nothing but the good stuff!

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Pretty sure it’s the same oil based flavoring with a similar mix ration. I doubt the guy is going to sell his product for a discount. It seems like a standard 300% mark up for relabeling it as a bear hunting product. He’s basically middle manning it. The one gallon jug is basically the same price as a 5 gallon, so I’m think one gallon would be plenty. Next season I plan to have at least three 55gal barrels of flavored grease before season starts. You seem to enjoy math, so the way I have it figured is 55gal of oil is almost 1.7M calories. That’s enough to feed a huge bear 20,000cal/day for almost 90 days straight. If I put over 2M calories per bait site at the beginning of the season, it should last me all season without ever having to rebait, and I can do it for a total cost of around $220. I can refill 3 55gal barrels with $20 worth of bread, so 9 barrels for $60. Then grease is free, and the one gallon jug will cost $160. Should be able to set up in August and it last until Rifle season at least.
View attachment 373478
View attachment 373479
View attachment 373480
View attachment 373481
How are you feeding the oil to the bears?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
How are you feeding the oil to the bears?
Using the bread like a sponge. Usually put about 5G in the barrel, load it with a few armloads of bread, roll it around and let it soak in well, then fill the rest of the way with bread and slowly pour another 5G of oil over the top. Like biscuits and gravy. A lot of the bread I get is whole grain, berry flavored, or something along those lines. I figure it adds to the variety and nutritional profile. Like all bear hunters, I want something cheap, effective, and less work. I’m thinking a barrel of hazelnut flavored, then maybe a blueberry or strawberry, and maybe an anise or chocolate peanut butter barrel.

·
Premium Member
30,251 Posts
Last year, we had a bear eating around fifty or so chacolate pies a day - the individual packaged kind - 500 calories apiece. He was eating over 25,000 calories a day. He got noticeably fatter while we were baiting. He never showed back up after the night before season. In fact - no bear hit a bait last year after season opened for the two weeks we left the barrels out.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Last year, we had a bear eating around fifty or so chacolate pies a day - the individual packaged kind - 500 calories apiece. He was eating over 25,000 calories a day. He got noticeably fatter while we were baiting. He never showed back up after the night before season. In fact - no bear hit a bait last year after season opened for the two weeks we left the barrels out.
That might be a new record. Must have been a BIG bear

·
Premium Member
30,251 Posts
That might be a new record. Must have been a BIG bear
He was a decent bear - but no monster - but he definately got fatter. We were buying a bed level truckload of pastries from a bakery in Louisiana for $25. Cant really say it made a difference. In fact - it was our least number of bears on bait in six years of hunting. It seemed like the harder we tried and more sophisticated we got with our baits - the fewer bears we had. I know that is just coincidence, and probably more related to other factors. I retired from bear hunting last year - I miss it a little - but the time, effort, and expense involved - I dont miss.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use it. Put some in a gallon each time I refresh and put all over ground. One bottle does a while season. I also use the spray to hit the leaves overhead for the wind. And I use little spay on the leaves by me in the tree stand when I am hunting to help mask me.

with persimmon mineral
Can you tell me more you this? Where? What? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I use it. Put some in a gallon each time I refresh and put all over ground. One bottle does a while season. I also use the spray to hit the leaves overhead for the wind. And I use little spay on the leaves by me in the tree stand when I am hunting to help mask me.

He’s probably referring to one of the 5lb bags you get from the deer attractant isle. Here’s another option you could use to create a super potent syrup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
View attachment 373478
View attachment 373479
View attachment 373480
View attachment 373481
Where are you getting all that bread and oil?!

·
Registered
41 Posts

The bears in my area for some reason like this brand of mineral:
Font Advertising Publication Art Screenshot

It has a decent level of scent and on our ridge it tends to blow pretty well. Im sure the apple flavor will also attract them. What worked for me this year was, corn, this mineral and oil with Goldrush.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Where are you getting all that bread and oil?!
Almost every bakery will have expired bread for sale really cheap. I pay about 11 cents per loaf. Literally everywhere that serves food has fryer grease, but it comes in different forms. You can get fish grease, but it smells like fish. You can get burger grease from a flattop grill at a burger joint. Bacon grease from a breakfast joint. But my all time favorite is funnel cake grease. Just smells delicious. Onion ring grease is a close second. But you don’t even want to know the kinds of things I’ve had to do for it……
Wear gloves……..😎

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
How’s your bear hunting going [mention]K-Mo [/mention] ?
Atmosphere Plant Tree Black-and-white Grass

Ole Biggy just won’t show up anywhere near shooting hours.Still getting hit hard, just little bears during shooting hours. I might open a new bait or two this weekend, but I’m hunting a deep dark hole this afternoon, and haven’t checked the cam in a couple weeks. We’ll just see how it goes….

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Plant Twig Wood Trunk Terrestrial plant

I’m down in zone 2 about 100 yards downwind of the only bait I have bears coming in the daylight.
Buddy sat on the bait yesterday while I was sitting a water hole.
He had a big bear come in about 5 minutes after he left the bait so I figure it smelled him and didn’t want to come in.
If he circles around on the downwind trail again I should get a shot while he’s scent checking the bait.
Forgot my climber so I’m stuck in a saddle for the day. I hate this thing for more than a three hour sit. Be lucky if I can walk out at dark.

421 - 440 of 473 Posts