Arkansas Hunting banner
401 - 420 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
My bait is all freshened up and ready to go. Haven’t been in there since Sunday morning. Gonna try to hunt it again Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. Not had much luck killing two off same bait. But gonna give it a go

I wonder why that is? Is it the smell of blood? Maybe the unusual sounds that come from a bear recovery? I can see how driving a ATV in after dark will definitely affect the bait but what about a daytime recovery?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I wonder why that is? Is it the smell of blood? Maybe the unusual sounds that come from a bear recovery? I can see how driving a ATV in after dark will definitely affect the bait but what about a daytime recovery?
I think it’s from different activity on our part. When we bait we get in, freshen it up, and get out. We take one way in and the same way out.
We’re predictable. When we hunt it’s pretty much the same.
When we have a bear down we’re walking around spreading scent and sound where it doesn’t belong.
I think a bear can get used to us and tolerate us to a certain extent as long as he knows what’s going on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
With the exception of a sow with cubs Sat night my bait is stone dead. We did recovery my friends bear Saturday morning and everything has completely died since then. Hopefully it picks back up.
The week leading up to opening day I had multiple bears everyday in daylight. Doesn't seem to be very many acorns in my area. I would probably blame it on the heat but my two Oklahoma baits are still being hit daily. Hope to keep them coming until October.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
K-MO- sorry I haven’t been keeping up. How is your bear killing going?
Pretty well, still getting smashed as of last Sunday. Headed back up tomorrow after it cools off to fill my tag and maybe a few others. Ain’t tryna work up a 400lb bear in this heat. Thinking about trying some cub meat for bait. I hear there’s nothing a big ole boar can resist more than cub meat…..

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes, combined with persimmon mineral, bears are on the bait within 5hrs of putting it out. It’s definitely worth the money!
Well, that leads me to my next point. It ain’t exactly worth the money. What I mean is, after pondering the “buck on the bag” idea, and having a culinary background, I realized that any concentrated oil based flavoring was probably an ice cream or candy flavoring. The gold rush sells for about $4.50/Oz. I can get a gallon of about a million different flavors for $1.50/Oz. They don’t have acorn, but they do have hazelnut. And every fruit imaginable. Im going to do a taste test next season and find a few preferred flavors and order it by the gallon. I’ll post a link….

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Well, that leads me to my next point. It ain’t exactly worth the money. What I mean is, after pondering the “buck on the bag” idea, and having a culinary background, I realized that any concentrated oil based flavoring was probably an ice cream or candy flavoring. The gold rush sells for about $4.50/Oz. I can get a gallon of about a million different flavors for $1.50/Oz. They don’t have acorn, but they do have hazelnut. And every fruit imaginable. Im going to do a taste test next season and find a few preferred flavors and order it by the gallon. I’ll post a link….
I bet Banana would be like cheating…

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
The bacon flavor is more expensive than the gold rush is for comparable sizes. Not much more. But is a little bit.
I’d like to try a few of those scents though.

401 - 420 of 473 Posts