Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got really excited when I saw that in the survey. The bears always seem to disappear the right when the season opens (acorns start falling). Having an earlier opener will keep them on the bait longer.

Any of you considering not trying this year? I know last year was bad for a lot of us because of the hot/dry weather. I didn't have a single bear show up last year. Wasted a lot of time and money feeding the raccoons. This summer is shaping up to be about the same. If the temps don't drop and we don't start getting some rain by late August/early September, I probably won't bother. Gas and bait are way more expensive this year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am going to try. Too much action and success in 2020 to not try again. But I was a bust last year too. Actually saved money on feed. But did feed a lot of ravens and raccoons. Got a cell camera and that helped a lot - saved a few trips up to rebait.

I will try two new things this time to help with raccoons. One, I am going to use sticks to plug my barrel hole each time I reload so that is the bears open it up and not the raccoons. Two, for the same reason, I will not fill the shaker barrel at all until the bears show up first.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've got a couple of wet weather springs on my place. It's on a mountain top, and the closest regular water source is a creek about a half mile away. Last year the creek totally dried up.

Be sure and use bigger sticks and push them all the way in the barrel and wedge them in tight. Them dang raccoons will stick their paw in and grab the end of the stick and pull it out. All the sticks would be pulled out of mine, but no pics of any bears. Finally got a pic of a raccoon standing on the sticks with his arm all the way in the barrel and figured out what was happening.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Got between a sow and cubs today brush hogging some thick grass and black berries. I didnt see her til she stood up a few yards away. then she dropped down and took a couple of steps my direction and stopped. Then she stood up again and took off running. I could see the grass moving a good ways ahead and then I got a glimpse of a couple of basketball size cubs. I never thought she would come up the tractor but it did get the heart racing a bit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I haven't gotten much of anything on my cams so far this year. No bears. The same 4-5 does and yearlings all the time, and only 2 pics of one fawn. Most years around this time I regularly get pics of 10-15+ deer and around a half dozen fawns, and a handfull of random bear pics. I'm not sure what's going on this year, but I'm assuming it's the weather again. Going to check my cams again this weekend and see what's been going on the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I caught three on camera just last week. First ones. They look good but a little skinny. Two older ones I have seen before, and an obvious male teenager.

DeputyDog - when you say corn what do you mean? You bait with that, put on ground, or just watch your deer feeder?

·
Premium Member
30,167 Posts
I have gotten three different bears on random camera locations. How realistic is it to try and maintain a bait site 2 hours from the house? Is every other week plausible?
It is tough that far away - but can be done. It will depend on how much activity you have on your baits how often you have to go. Five days was about mad time before I had to rebait. If you get cell service, you might be able to tell with a txting camera when you have to go back. Dont let it run dry.

1 - 20 of 451 Posts