Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new posting to this forum although I have followed it for years. Really enjoy most of it and most guys seem on the same page as far as duck hunting.

Background. I was a farmer of 25 years in the Altheimer area a land owner and duck hunter in Bayou Meto for 40 years. As some of you here I to remember the glory days. I am certainly not going to get into how it’s all changed.

I am certainly not a biologist. I would argue that over those 40 years it has been rare that we have killed a duck with an acorn in his craw. The old timers claimed ducks came to the woods to rest. I am not starting an argument here and if some of you guys say different then I am good with that…. just and observation.

Here is my point. Land has been cleared around Bayou Meto starting in late 1800’s for farming.

The Bayou Meto land was not cleared because it is prone to flooding year after year after year. A lot of it in the spring and summer and sometimes flooding farmland for several miles.

We are talking water way to high to wade like over your head high. It happened three times last year and for weeks at a time.

b2.jpg b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg We were down at camp last weekend. It is at full flood right now. My question I guess would be, to the powers that be, how detrimental is this kind of continued flooding on the oak trees that they are wanting to re-establish??
Is this the real problem killing specific oak trees not when the trees are dormant??

I realize that the new pumping station at little bayou and the new proposed canal system will help some of this problem of spring and summer flooding

Ok.... off soap box.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Our private timber is flooded right now too. We are loosing trees year to year to blow downs. No levee's. Just natural flooding

·
Registered
747 Posts
Our private timber is flooded right now too. We are loosing trees year to year to blow downs. No levee's. Just natural flooding
We are losing trees due to blow downs. I have heard that if the water is running, the trees can get oxygen and not be hurt as much. Standing water that is not moving is bad on trees.

·
Premium Member
26,969 Posts
Two years ago on Millwood lake, it was in flood stage for two months in May, June, and July. Water was not stagnate. Most of the time they were pulling water through the lake. That flood devastated the trees. About the only thing that came out unscathed were the overcup oaks, cypress, and other pure swamp dwellers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is a lot of research on ducks use of acorns. Mostly they are consumed after most hunters are out of the woods.
What are the driest months of the year? August, September, October. That is what the trees are designed for, not stagnant water in September and October.

That pump station will not help anything unless 9 miles of little bayou meto is completely dredged. That was a terrible location for a pump station designed to assist with draining.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
As I said earlier I am certainly not an authority but I know this. Back in the old days we hunted afternoons a lot. killed very few ducks with acorns.

It was not running last weekend. Problem is when Big Bayou flood gate is closed its a giant lake. It can be closed for over closed for over a month sometimes. They opened flood gate first of the week. I guess we need more research to the standing verse ruining water theory.

There is a plan in place for a 100ft canal on the edge of the scatters from Nolan ditch to Walter Will damn which will be redesigned. Crazy... Little Bayou will be dredged starting at the pump station. They just got power to it. We are following this project closely.

http://hstrial-ldowd.homestead.com/ProjectComponents.html

·
Read Only
Squish: The sound your waders make after you fall into ice cold water but act like nothing happened.
0 Posts
Well....I grew up in AR but claim residence in Dallas, TX but I own a place on Lake Ouachita and pay taxes on it and I am about to start paying thousands to UA Fayetteville so I am partially qualified to speak on the subject. Hot water kills red oak timber. If you can pull the water off of it then do so. I believe ducks come to the woods to feed on invertebrates so they can get the protein they need to make that trip back to the prairie pothole region. "Akerns" ain't why they are in the woods.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Well....I grew up in AR but claim residence in Dallas, TX but I own a place on Lake Ouachita and pay taxes on it and I am about to start paying thousands to UA Fayetteville so I am partially qualified to speak on the subject. Hot water kills red oak timber. If you can pull the water off of it then do so. I believe ducks come to the woods to feed on invertebrates so they can get the protein they need to make that trip back to the prairie pothole region. "Akerns" ain't why they are in the woods.
I've always kinda thought this too.

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
In the 70's hunting timber on good clubs, the water was very limited early in the season. A lot of times, we had to walk a LONG way to the sloughs to even find water to hunt. Now then, those same timber places are FULL flooded 30 days before season opens .

·
Registered
26,978 Posts
In the 70's hunting timber on good clubs, the water was very limited early in the season. A lot of times, we had to walk a LONG way to the sloughs to even find water to hunt. Now then, those same timber places are FULL flooded 30 days before season opens .
I'm asking because I genuinely don't know and was figuring you probably would, what is the timber health like on OK, Marked Tree, Sitzers, etc like now?

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
I'm asking because I genuinely don't know and was figuring you probably would, what is the timber health like on OK, Marked Tree, Sitzers, etc like now?
I'm not sure, I am not a member of OK anymore, I do remember Sitzer's cutting theirs to improve the quality. But since Leonard died, I haven't heard much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beating a dead horse......I was down at camp last weekend. Long-pond access pool was still full flood (It looked like it had been about a ft higher). Cannon break was full flood. This just can be good and it happens multiple times year after year.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
It's a much much bigger problem than winter flooding. Scatters rarely gets water in the fall until the trees are dormant but stays flooded all spring with Arkansas river overflow

·
Registered
26,978 Posts
It's a much much bigger problem than winter flooding. Scatters rarely gets water in the fall until the trees are dormant but stays flooded all spring with Arkansas river overflow
Exactly. All the effort in the world to "save the trees" won't make a lick of difference if they keep flooding in the spring and summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agfc again d I ding to be proactive about flooding yet they have they wrong time of year to implement it. They need a stop gap so it doesn't back up in woods. It should flow unobstructed. Where is the beaver guy at, why is it not flowing out? The river ain't that high to keep it backed up

1 - 20 of 49 Posts