Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
What an incredibly cool trip! That's amazing!

The biologist in me could not wait for bloat to process anything. Mostly because when we need to collect tissues for analysis in the lab we have to work VERY fast to collect them before proteins start to crosslink and decomp changes begin. Now...that has nothing to do with meat tenderness/flavor (we don't eat the mice and rats)...so I'll be very interested to hear how your whitetail experiment goes. That swollen belly is caused by all of the microbes breeding and proliferating in the gut. It's possible those folks have built up a tolerance/resistance to the endotoxins and microbes...you may want to keep some Imodium handy for this experiment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The locals eat the majority of the caribou raw. When I asked why, it is the traditional way and likely is what has let them evolve/survive up there with no fresh vegetables (scurvy?). They claim they get all the nutrients they need by not cooking the caribou and getting the vitamins and whatnot from the lichen and tundra grasses the caribou eat. Another tradition is to cache the meat on the tundra. Come back later dig it up and eat it. They say when it has turned green it is ready. Would be interesting for a scientist to go up there and study their diet. They have good free health care up there. Another Hunter had some crazy reaction to black fly bites. Went to clinic got some IV drip of antibiotics all for free and was cured in 48hrs? I bet you could contact the Nunavut health care system and get some data on their diet? I will take your advice on the Imodium on my next whitetail experiment. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
That's just so interesting to hear how they eat and live up there. Thank you for sharing all of this!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Strangely it was not bad, very dense not bloody. The guide had stomach content all over his hands when he handed it to me, so that was a bit of a turn off. If it was served on a plate, it would be quite edible, I think most folks would eat it. The guide fished them out, peeled off the sack they were in and handed me one, he ate the other one in about 2 bites. I am pretty sure you could fish one out at camp this fall and eat it in front of all your buddies without spewing and be the camp legend for the day.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
That's amazing. Congrats!
Did they say how their caribou numbers are holding up? Everything you read in hunting magazines is doom and gloom. I remember talking to an outfitter at the Big Buck Classic in Little Rock probably 20 years ago, and it was a relatively cheap hunt, plus you could kill 2 bulls. I think those days are over.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Awesome trip.
What are the logistics of a trip like that?
Do you have a point of contact after you get up there that arranges all the travel/ local guides/ meat and trophy care?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
2 bulls is over. You can only shoot 1 caribou. Currently the numbers are steady. I don’t think sport hunting has a negative impact as you only hunt mature bulls. The locals don’t want a tough bull. I think politics will decide the fate of sport hunting. They will never be able to stop subsistence hunting. If the numbers decline it is easy to stop sport hunting. The tags were bought through local village conservation officer and you have to have a local guide. So the money may keep it open?

With all that said, we went because we anticipate sport hunting closing in future.

Shane Black, Canada North Outfitting, is likely the subject matter expert. Shane is a past SCI outfitter of the year and has the best contacts in the Arctic. If you have questions about hunting anything in the Arctic, he is the go to guy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Awesome trip.
What are the logistics of a trip like that?
Do you have a point of contact after you get up there that arranges all the travel/ local guides/ meat and trophy care?
Shane Black Canada North Outfitting is a turn key solution

21 - 35 of 35 Posts