barrel length

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by dash4cash, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

just wondering what barrel length would be best for long range shooting, say 3 to 5 hundred yards. Never taken a shot that far, but planning on a 243 caliber for antelope and some coyote hunting. Does barrel length even make a difference or is it the twist of the barrel that makes it more accurate, or is it a combination of both?

Thanks, Carl

2. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

If I were planning to take shots out to 500yds with a 243 it would have a 24-26" barrel with a 1 in 9.5 or 1 in 10 twist.

3. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    A short barrel can be as accurate as a long barrel.

You will gain velocity with barrel length.

4. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

X2 , I have seen 18 1/2" barrelled rifles put in the same hole.

5. grrifles

grrifles Well-Known Member

A shorter barrel could be more accurate then a longer barrel of same weight because it will be stiffer. You do lose veloicty witha shorter barrel.

6. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

At 300 yards my 243 with a 22" barrel is just as accurate as my 25-06 with a 26" barrel.

7. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

The longer barrel can acheive higher velocities with some calibers but isn't the deciding factor on accuracy. Flatter trajectory helps with long range shooting for obvious reasons.

8. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, you made it alot clearer.

9. boapaul

boapaul Well-Known Member

Barrel length is determined by the burning rate of the powder and the twist detimines the bullet length or weight