• 24"

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • shorterthan 24"

Votes: 4 4.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
I have used a 24 and some longer.24" seems to work ok up close in the dekes and have killed 'em out to 30yds. with a 24".

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
My Mossberg 500 came with a 26" barrel many moons ago, so that's what I've used.... to fairly good effect, IMO.

Tommy

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 24'' barrell on a Rem Sup Mag and never had a problem killin ducks. Bought it for a turkey gun but liked it so much I use it for everything.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
I personally shoot a 28" barrel, but I think a 26" barrel is the best for duck hunting.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Many moons ago I went to the annual duck call tuning by Rick Dunn at Gene Lockwood's Sport Mart in Little Rock. That night they had a drawing for an 870 SP and there seemed to be a 1000 ticket stubs in the drawing barrel. They picked my name and I won it.:biggrin: Came with a 26 inch barrel. I have used it ever since for all my duck hunting and it has done a good job in timber or the field. Barrel length does not effect the distance a gun shoots but does aid in making sighting easier on distant targets with a longer barrel. It didn't take me long to get used to the shorter sighting plane and now I don't even give it a thought.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Mostly 26" guns. I have a 22" that I have used but I can't get it to "swing".

My Excel came with a 28".... it swings just fine!

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
5,490 Posts
I'll say,What do you call that?.....A Goose Gun?

Death indeed. Looks like a Belgium made Browning A-5. :up: My dad has one just like it with the 32" barrel. It'll reach out there and get'em. I have an A5 with a 30" barrel, but it was made in Japan. :smack:

·
Registered
623 Posts
i got a marlin goose gun. 36" full choke barrel and it is MEAN. only thing i got against it, it is bolt action, but thats why it is on the trading post right now....

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
When steel shot became mandatory a longer bbl. was recommended because the powder being used at the time took longer to burn. But that has since been fixed, I think. I use a 26 on my Browning but got a 28 on the 835 and they both work fine. I think it's just what ever you get used to shooting...d2

·
Super Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2013
3,922 Posts
i have a 28 in on my duckbuster but
you know what they say...

"it's not the length of your barrel, it's all how you aim it."

shifty

1 - 20 of 26 Posts