Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't get my pup to bark when he tree's.. He jus gets disinterested if u don't shoot the squirrel.. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
207 Posts
When you know he is treed just tie him up and walk away. When he starts barking walk back to him and show him lots of praise.
That's good advice. By all means, don't shoot the squirrel out to him if he don't bark. Alot of young dogs do this. Just give him time and he will put it together.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,321 Posts
Use the old sq. tail on a string trick....play keep-away with him till he barks, then let him have the tail......gently then, remove the tail and start over again, each time telling him what a good dog he is, and say dead over and over as you gently take the tail away. If you toss the string over a limb and yank it up and down....he may bark easier. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thank ya'll.. I'll sure try these ideas n see if they help.... T-man, I haven't shot one out for him yet.. I have heard that'll ruin em quick! Thanks fellas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get down there with him at the tree and vet him excited. Bark at the tree and throw leaves up and keep him excited. Sounds a little childish and you wouldn't want to do it in front of your wife but it should help.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Does he see the squirrel and not bark at it? I know some young dogs won't bark unless they can see the squirrel. Once they build up confidence in themselves they will then usually start treeing by scent only. How old is your pup? You might try geting the squirrel to timber and maybe that will get him excited. Excitement is the key!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts