Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2013
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let's break it down

i've hunted 12-14 years and killed 4 banded ducks and a goose

three banded greenheads (one with a $100 reward band)
one banded wood duck drake
one banded canada (neck and leg, one of those tame ones up on dardanelle)

interested to see how it breaks down for everyone else. when i was little someone told me you'd kill a banded duck for every 500 ducks you killed. never put pen to paper to see if that was true.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I've been hunting for 45 years and I have 1 band from a GW teal on my duck call lanyard. I have a lanyard full of duck and goose bands that my first lab won in winning and competing in HRC hunt tests that is on my dog whistle.

Cat

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have hunted for close to 14 years now. I have killed quite a few local honker bands and in fact I have even let a few of em slip through my fingers to others that were on their first hunts. I have killed one migrant honker as well that was banded. But this year I finally killed my first duck band. A banded Mallard drake.

I carry around 12 or so honker bands on the lanyard and the one lone duck band as well. I have a couple of other local honker bands here at the house.

Cat,

The bands you refer to on your whistle lanyard are worth a ton of work, sweat, tears and time. I only have a few of them.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
let's break it down

interested to see how it breaks down for everyone else. when i was little someone told me you'd kill a banded duck for every 500 ducks you killed. never put pen to paper to see if that was true.
3+1+1=4 :head: Hmm not the calculation i got, aniway i have hunted about 5 years and 2 years ago i missed a banded greenhead in which my buddy killed, last year i killed a banded greenhead and a locally banded canada, and this year i introduced another one of my friends to duck hunting and he killed a banded greenhead his 1st hunt with me.:smack: So in 5 years i have been on a "banded duck hunt" 3 times.....O and the first buddy i talked about (the one who shot the duck i missed) That was his second band, he killed one the year before that And im the oldest only 19! Looking forward to alot more to come :thumb:

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
let's break it down

3+1+1=4 :head: Hmm not the calculation i got, aniway i have hunted about 5 years and 2 years ago i missed a banded greenhead in which my buddy killed, last year i killed a banded greenhead and a locally banded canada, and this year i introduced another one of my friends to duck hunting and he killed a banded greenhead his 1st hunt with me.:smack: So in 5 years i have been on a "banded duck hunt" 3 times.....O and the first buddy i talked about (the one who shot the duck i missed) That was his second band, he killed one the year before that And im the oldest only 19! Looking forward to alot more to come :thumb:
4 Banded Ducks
1 Banded Goose

4+1=5

Not to be a smart:censored: just to clarify. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I have hunted for 4 years and havent got one or even been on a hunt when one was shot. I have a buddy that last year killed 2 banded wood ducks out of the same group and of course he had to come over to the house and show um off

·
Registered
305 Posts
this makes prob my 7th season and i havent shot anything banded. i have 1 band and i was given to me by my grandpa and my buddy killed a banded wood duck drake 2 or 3 yrs ago but thats it. my day will come though

·
Premium Member
29,752 Posts
Been duck hunting since 1963. I have two bands, both drake mallards. I have actually tried to calculate the odds of this. I have been hunting in Arkansas since 1980. That is 29 years, here, and I figure that my son and I (and every now and then a buddy) have conservatively averaged 150 ducks per year. I have two bands, my son has two bands, and a buddy killed one, so that is five bands in 29 years, out of 4350 ducks, or one band per 870 ducks. Incidently, all five bands came from drake mallards. Three of the bands came in one year (three years ago). One year, when I worked for the Fish and Wildlife Service (1978, I think) testing steel shot, we hunted everyday from mid-november into February. I don't know how many ducks we killed (a bunch - were not governed by bag limits and seasons) - the group of us doing the hunting killed 8 bands that year - but many of the ducks were shot with five or six people shooting at a bunch of 50 mallards in the timber, so it was difficult to say who killed what band.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
0 for me, but i've only been duck hunting about 5-6 years. Had a buddy shoot a banded wood duck on a hunt a few years ago....only duck killed that day.

SwampCat's numbers are close to what I've heard about bands. I've heard that it's somewhere around 1 out of 950 mallards are banded, they are the most banded bird.

However, i've also hunted with some people that claim they were shooting 1 for every 60 or 70 from private land. I think some spots produce more than others.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
0 for me, but i've only been duck hunting about 5-6 years. Had a buddy shoot a banded wood duck on a hunt a few years ago....only duck killed that day.

SwampCat's numbers are close to what I've heard about bands. I've heard that it's somewhere around 1 out of 950 mallards are banded, they are the most banded bird.

However, i've also hunted with some people that claim they were shooting 1 for every 60 or 70 from private land. I think some spots produce more than others.
Some spots Definatly produce more than others. I have been on 3 banded hunts in the past 3 seasons and they were all taken within 2 to 5 miles from each other

What I always think about tho is, How many ducks have we missed that had bands!

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts
Been hunting em pretty hard for the past 7 years and have yet to kill a banded duck.

However, I have been "hoodoo'd" a few times by yours truly...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.